• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Airlines crash in Jamaica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I too stand behind the pilots. These guy were experienced. This wasnt their first time seeing a rain soaked runway in that boeing stretch. The carribean nations are notorious for not reporting accurate conditions and failing to notam appropriately. Island fever....It will end up being another series of events that stacked the odds on these two guys. The US carriers should all rally and demand grooved runways or no service. This action would threaten their tourism industry and get the changes needed to ensure our pilots aren't walking into a mouse traps.

Even though this runway was ungrooved they whould have been able to stop. When the FDR and CVR is available maybe we will know what happened. I have been a captain with a new FO in a 727 landing there and at 3,000 ft said either land or go around now. He landed. I hope the pilots were not the cause of this accident. We will have to see how it turns out.

Even though this runway was ungrooved they whould have been able to stop...

A 72 would've probably been able to stop. A 737? Its hard to say, but if the braking was less than "fair" probably not.
The 727 sized 73's don't stop as well as the 727's did.

Latest resources

Back