• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West Pilots Vote down 2nd TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to interrupt the conversation but, I work for AWA and I would rather go with the little pay raise now, and take the difference and invest it over the next 3 years and demand a better increase if things are okay in 3 years. One thing is for sure we got really lucky that we didn't loose our jobs after Sep 11 and if that ever does happen again we will all be flipping burgers.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

bigtexpilot said:
Not to interrupt the conversation but, I work for AWA and I would rather go with the little pay raise now, and take the difference and invest it over the next 3 years and demand a better increase if things are okay in 3 years. One thing is for sure we got really lucky that we didn't loose our jobs after Sep 11 and if that ever does happen again we will all be flipping burgers.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

I agree with your last sentence, I think you just might be.

Yes, the TA does provide a little pay raise, very little. But at what cost? If you had read the TA you would notice that the negatives of this TA far outweigh the positives.

Demand a better increase in three years? How? AWA will still be confined by the supposed ATSB restrictions in three years.

We got real lucky we didn't lose our jobs after 9/11? Who is we? I did lose my job after 9/11.

You said, "if that ever does happen again we will all be flipping burgers." I'm assuming that you are eligable to vote for the TA named Contract 2004. That said, it appears that you are voting out of fear of the unknown. Why are you tying your discussion about the TA with a future terrorist attack. The TA should be able to stand on it's merit alone. Therfore it must be voted down, for this TA has no merit.

The facts are clear. AWA is profitable right now. We should be negotiating a contract based on the airlines current finacial postition, period.

If we ratify this TA we will never be able to achieve industry standard wages or work rules. By 2008, we will most likely be approaching another economic downturn and once again told that AWA can't afford industry wages.

The company wants this deal done now. What's the big hurry? Do you really believe Doug Parker wants you to get that $18 million? No way! This TA is a smoking deal for the company. Doug Parker said so in his last Smith-Barney web cast.

If we ratify this TA, be prepared to live under it for at least five years! Can you live with a 14% raise that is spread out over nine years? Just the cost of living increases over that same period will be at least 27%.

Do the right thing, VOTE NO. Even if we are parked by the NMB for two years (unlikely), it's better than being locked into a concessionary deal for five.

Latest resources

Back