• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA/FO

5 Star Senior Member
Dow Jones Business News
America West To Hire Unspecified Number Of Pilots
Tuesday October 29, 4:22 pm ET
By Sonoko Setaishi, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK -(Dow Jones)- Bucking the airline-industry trend toward capacity cutbacks and layoffs, America West Holdings Corp.'s America West Airlines will resume hiring pilots next month to fill positions vacated by attrition, promotions and retirements, the No. 8 U.S. carrier told Dow Jones Newswires Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We are doing some hiring for pilots due to attrition, upgrades and retirements," said company spokeswoman Patty Nowack. She said the number of pilots to be hired is "fluid" at the moment.

In November, America West will begin training a small group of pilots who were hired before last year's Sept. 11 terrorist attacks but were since put on hold, Nowack said. After that, the Phoenix-based carrier will recruit more pilots, both from past and new applicants.

The hiring isn't related to any aircraft purchase or route expansion, Nowack said.

America West shares fell Tuesday, in line with the industry and the broader stock market. The stock closed down 7 cents, or 4.4%, at $1.53.

Spoke with a old friend at Cactus and this is correct. They have recalled all pilots furloughed and I was surprised to hear that several did not return. Curious as to what kind of jobs they found???

But bact to AWA, they are seeking pilots again and a letter of rec might get you through the door. SO call your old buds at AWA and good luck, we all know just how many qualified good pilots are out there to chose from.

BOZ

Boz,

Well, from our new hire bios, I'd say we have many at jetBlue these days. I can tell you my seniority isn't going up because anyone is leaving.

Happy landings

jointops

Yeah there probably is not going to be much movement with the current major airline enviornment. I am just happy to see that another major other than FedEx and SWA are hiring. AWA does not have a deep pool and it is great to hear that they are hiring in such a depressed exonomy. I am quite certain that UAL,DAL,NWA & AA will be out of the new hire game for sometime as they continue to find ways to get profitable again. Combine this with deferring aircraft deliverlies, stagnent economy and the chance of war approching it is better than nothing.

Take care,

BOZ

It's good to hear that they are finally moving. I am still hoping to hear something soon.

WD.

I was offered a Nov 4 class. It seems that right now they have 2 firm dates, nov 04 and Nov 18. I asked to remain in the pool for now and defer my class for personal reasons and she said they would probably have another class in January and did not know after that. I believe that both Nov classes are poolies from early 2001 and January would be new hires.

...but what does this mean to those of us w/o a recommendation? Anyone know what the odds are for regular scmoltzes like me? 4500TT 650 PICTurb, etc
I've never even gotten a response that they recieved my stuff. Sky harbor is a short drive from my house......
Thanks for any info

AWA

I've been out of the app business as of late, airline furlough now corporate furlough, how does one apply to AWA? Their web site says they are not hiring???

I know they are planning on interviewing soon. I have 2 friends there and they have been told by management"if you have someone you want to recommend to get their stuff in to chief pilot "
From the past I do know they liked Pic turbine. They didnt have a minimum amount but wanted to see some--I cant imagine they are going to lower that criteria in todays market.
Also in past they did interview in 737-200 sim and placed a lot of emphasis on the sim ride. The profile was unique and they called it the Reavey weave or something like that....Jet Tech used to offer a 200 sim and practice session however I dont think they are still in business.( dont quote me on that)
If I hear anything else I will try to post it... Never hurts to fire off a resume though-dont know if they are handing out applications now or not.

Forgot this part for gator guy:
America West Airlines
Attn: Pilot Recruitment, Staffing Resources
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Latest resources

Back