America West hiring furloughee's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Launchpad

Curious if America West is or has hired any Furloughee's? Not trying to start any flame, just wondering what the policy is with seniority resignation and so forth.

Thanks in advance-

They just hired me but my furlough is from USAir so it was kind of a funny discussion in the interview. I don't think they make you resign though.

There are three mainline furloughees in my class. My best guess is that if you are furloughed Delta, the issue will arise in an interview. If you have intentions of going back to Delta someday don't bother, but if you're commited to trying a new career at America West, they'll welcome you. I don't think there's an official "you need to write a letter" policy with resignation.

Oh, the furloughees in our class were all junior USair, TWA, and United...ie never going to get their jobs back...or at least not anytime in the near future. Your situation will be different.

Last edited:
There was one USAirways, and one American in my class last Aug. They won't be going back.

That's what they say....for now.But I think if and when the time comes that the dust settles (?) in this beloved industry of ours, and if they do get recalled,they would have to carefully look at what their old company is offering in terms of pay,benefits, work rules, senority etc. and how it compares to what they currently have as an AWA employee. Who knows? Might be a nice option to have ..... hard to say.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Launch,

Being furloughed TWA was obviously a discussion topic in the interview, but I believe it was looked upon favorably, as I also expressed my desire to stay here for the next 30 years. I would say that if you are only looking at AWA for a place to sit while awaiting your Delta recall, they will probably see through that in the interview and bring it up. They are not looking for short timers. That being said, there are many furloughees here - lots of TWA, and US/UA guys and girls.

For what its worth, I was never required to resign my furlough-fodder AA number in writing, but would have in a heartbeat.... Good luck

In my class of 12 last year the furloughees were: two TWA/American, three straight (native)American, one USAirways, and one Hawaiian. Yes they hire furloughees, and no, they haven't required us to resign.

HAL

HAL,

WTF over! 3 aa? One of us is going to be po'd. Me JT and RB were all original TWA. I think the monkey is ashamed of you for even thinking one of us was aa. It's ok, I understand it took you a few months to thaw out. Drop me a line, been wondering how things are going you senior LAS biatch.

I know a lot of furloughees getting interviews, and some are pretty senior. AWA has a little different past and a lot of people here started at other airlines. My own experience has been great and I have been welcomed and graciously accepted (despite what frozen minds from Seattle remember). I'll echo the above though, if you don't generally want to be here, I wouldn't bother. Some pretty experienced people doing the interviews. However, if you can get over your past and be excited about the future again, this is as good a place to be. Having a recall number is a good thing to have I suppose, but come on, AWA has a better chance than most of the airlines mentioned above.

Good luck.

steveg said:
HAL,

WTF over! 3 aa? One of us is going to be po'd. Me JT and RB were all original TWA. I think the monkey is ashamed of you for even thinking one of us was aa. It's ok, I understand it took you a few months to thaw out. Drop me a line, been wondering how things are going you senior LAS biatch.

Good luck.

D'Oh! Yes I knew that - I'll chalk it up to having the brain turned off after finally getting a string of days off at home! The monkey is very upset with me and is recommending a spanking.

Either way though, like Steveg said, if you're willing to put the problems of the past behind you, it's a great place to work. After several months on the line I haven't yet had a bad crew to work with. The flying is fun, the people professional and relaxed, and the training outstanding.

A good place to be.

HAL

Latest resources

Back