America West Airline crew arrested KMIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Groover

So true. Maybe I was a bit overzealous thinking we'll ever get seperate security. I think part of the whole security thing with pilots, that has us in there with the PAX and displaying our feet, is to say to average Joe PAX and kids "hey, these pilot guys get boned too...whoa these security fellas sure are serious about their jobs!!" - At least until USAtoday gets ahold of fake gun stories and the like.

Last edited:
done

Well whats done is done, and now it is time to do some high priced DAMAGE CONTROL, so start calling all the high priced lawyers , and start plugging up the system with more and more paper work so it will slow the sysytem down and may be grined it to a hault .

It is going to take some kind of big wallet to pull this off.

So now they lose every thing they worked so hard to get.

I think i would have called in sick with food poisioning, and run the risk of being docked 3 days pay?

Do they do that in this industry? hay at least they have their jobs still.

:confused:

Today

The fact is that this crew used incredibly bad judgement on several occassions and it bit them. How many of is ever read of accidents that are caused by one problem being compounded. We not only have one guy snookered, we have them both. Then they are arguing with the security guy over something we all know is the deal now.

Which is worse, losing your career altogether or having crew scheduling and the chief pilot all over you for the lack of judgement in drinking.

All was correctable until they got into that cockpit. Neither one had the judgement to say to the other,,,, heh this is stupid. I was on CNN Talkback Live today and the public was actually polite and only a few for breath tests for every flight.

ILS JNKY

Yep, calling in sick for something like this is definitely the thing to do. This scenario is a very common interview question at many airlines.
You try to get the other guy to bang in sick. If not, then you get your union guy involved. And on and on and on. You do what you have to do to not let the flight go out while trying your hardest to keep management (and the press I suppose) out of it. All the while keeping yourself out of a pickle. Of course, this only works if one guy is drunk and the other guy doesn't want to fly. Two drunk pilots and who's left to stop em? The flight attendants, gate agents (or security screeners).
I read here or on another board that the reason the security screeners got suspicious of the pilots was because they were mad about having to have their cup of coffee screened and started to argue with the screeners. Expensive coffee if true!

Last edited:
Always a way..

The FAA could have the airlines install those cool breathalizers those repeated DUI drivers have in there car. It could be incorporated into the FCU, if you go over, no fuel. Pretty simple.

Just get a FA to blow, their usually good at that..

(did i just write that?)

That tears it. Next time I go through security, I'm not going to stop at a breathalizer test. I'll give them that, gladly. I'm going to bring my own blood sample. And a urine sample. And stool and semen samples. I'm going to bring some old toe nail clippings. Perhaps some nose nuggets. Possibly even an old wisdom tooth. And a birth certificate. And a blessing certificate. And a micky mantle trading card. Possibly an extra box of doughnuts...

It happens in our industry, to think it does not is downright arrogance.

I think you meant downright ignorance. I have heard stories of crews under the influence, although I've never had to deal with them personally. Just because it happens, it doesn't make it o.k. The bottom line is this... Who would you prefer to fly your loved ones around, a drunken pilot or a sober one?
I don't consider myself holier than thou, but I do consider myself a professional. I owe it to my family, passengers, and anyone who might be victimized on the ground.
Imagine explaining to a victims family that you injured or killed their wife or child because you really needed to get buzzed on your overnight.
I personally don't advocate more screening, but I don't think asking for some self-control is asking too much.

I don't know who posted it. But why shouldn't these guys be put in cuffs and sitting in a waiting area? They broke the law and let them pay for it. It takes a real moron to show up with a BAC like that. They must have just not liked there jobs anymore. That's fine there are plenty of guys waiting to take there spots. At least now there will be 2 openings at AW. So get your resume up to date. If the union would even think of trying to get there jobs back. That would be just stupid. The BAC don't lie and any mouth wash isn't going to show up. So throw that theory out the window right now. Are the fired yet? Why not?

As an HP employee, this crew deserves the book, the FOM, the nine-thousand linear feet of FARs, and every jeppesen revision ever made thrown at them.

Some things are just TOO stupid, too asinine, to permit. Just like the NWA B727 crew out of FAR back in 1990 (that was the day I also graduated USAF Basic in SAT - I remember the day well), this crew deserves some severe prison time.

I dont give a rats anus if they were both alcoholics under the definition in the ADA, I dont give a rats anus if the met the HP time rule as written the FOM - the FARs also prohibit operation during a known medical deficiency, and being drunk could easily fall (if it doesnt already) within the definition of a known medical deficiency.

I only feel sorry for the crew's families, for they will have to also pay the price for their spouses utter, sheer, and tremendous stupidity.

They made their bed, now they get to lie in it, and get to make prison corners every night.

Have I busted a reg as a dispatcher before? Sure, I'm sure I forgot to record time and initials given for a release amendment at least once in my career - I cant kill anyone when I forget that. Drinking, well.....

Imagine you're requesting a jumpseat ride, and the cockpit smells like the local bar, asinine, simply asinine.

Why did it take so long for the cops to get to the plane after security called them? I know you can't push back an Airbus faster than police can run through a terminal!
There must be more to this story...........

We out.

Latest resources

Back