America West Airline crew arrested KMIA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Simon,

Do we "all" break some rules? Maybe. Sure, who hasn't busted a DH or two? But it seems you're setting yourself on a mighty slippery ol' slope to start suggesting that breaking a rule or two is somehow okay. Does it become busting a rule or THREE next time?

I may be only a lowly PPL, but it seems this is one rule there is (and shouldn't be) any wiggle room on. What's not to understand? Drink, think, don't fly. Some rules aren't meant to be broken.

I don't speed on the freeway. I've been ticketed for going too slow a couple of times, but never speeding. My Samurai isn't capable of speeding (I tried).

I don't drink. Never have. Gagged on Nyquill once, though.

On a rare occasion during an overnight, a crewmember will have one beer. Very rarely. Most crewmembers I fly with stick to coke on the job (let me clarify that; cocacola) and save the drinking until after duty time is over. Besides, beer tends to interfere with the amphetamines...

Hey Avbug,

Try crack some time. Cheap, undetectible and the glass pipe won't set the detectors off.

Of course you'll catch some flack from your buddies when your teeth start rotting and falling out, but you'll fly a mean ILS.;)

That might work. My teeth are already falling out. Good camoflage. Except that I'm alergic to glass. Rats.

Am West pilots

Very upsetting situation, because the (stupid) public will think that all airline pilots drink to excess. Especially after that incident several years ago where the complete, three-person NW crew flew an airplane while legally intoxicated.

FurloughedGal, above, made a good point about releasing the identities of these pilots.

Interviewees would be wise to review this thread and be very current on it if that drunk captain question comes up during an interview.

Last edited:
Not a politically correct user ID

Wow,

I think I'm going to have to change my user ID now. I am guilty of drinking while running very long distances (hashing), but this is going to be really bad.

I think NW just tagged AWA and said, "You're it!!!". Hope we can all learn a very important lesson here that will stay with us the rest of our careers.

BTW, the human body processes alcohol at an average rate of .015/hr.

take care and fly safe,

PepsiNear - formerly BeerNear

Sounds ridiculous, but while watching some of those questionable morning news shows today, there was some stuff about "whether or not pilots should all be required to take breathalizers before flying".
I can see it now, we'll have our seperate security where the breathalizers will be kept. We'll still have to take off our shoes. Perhaps they'll make us duck walk, bounce on one foot and do wind sprints to test our overall health??

The FAA could have the airlines install those cool breathalizers those repeated DUI drivers have in there car. It could be incorporated into the FCU, if you go over, no fuel. Pretty simple.

I have never had the opportunity to drink on a layover since the airline I work for gives us reduced rest every chance they get. Now, if they had a caffeine limit for pilots, I would surely fail.

Really, its too bad these guys **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed up. Also remember if you show up with a hang over, thats considered under the influence and you are liable to get **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** canned.

Peace!

.02 into the pot...

Should these guys be fired for drinking? NO...
Should they be fired for a severe lack of judgement? Yes....

Some people have problems with drinking, why should a pilot be any different than anyone else?

We are now held to higher standards than ANY other profession, our integrity, character and now judgment will come under further scrutiny from the public, press, and government. What is next? our sexual preferences? our training? our lifestyle?

Maybe I have worked for some crappy airlines, but I can easily rattle off a few guys who "I THINK" drank a little to much up to the FAA or company limit. Did I ever fly with one that was "under the infuluence"? I don't think so! But then again I never asked for a breathalyzer test to be conducted.

I can also rattle off a few crews who would "talk" of being hungover or "not up to 100%" at the time of report. It happens in our industry, to think it does not is downright arrogance. I am sure there are "other" inhibitors being taken.

Bottom line.... these guys hurt not only our industry BUT every one of the 60,000 other profressional pilots out there..

jetexas

We didn't have seperate security before this happened, so why would we have it after? No, we will still have to strip down to our skivvies and show them that our pen actually writes... right in front of the passengers we are about to fly. PLUS, now we'll get to do a breathalizer (maybe even give a urine sample) in front of them too!

Latest resources

Back