am i missing something?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyhighroller

I have a comm/inst rotary license and I'm working on my private fixed wing. My instructor said all I have to do is fly with him until he thinks I can pass the practical and he gives me an endorsment. That didn't sound right, but here's the section out of the FAR that talks about add ratings and thats how I interpret it also. Am I missing something?

§ 61.63 Additional aircraft ratings (other than on an airline transport pilot certificate).

(a) General. To be eligible for an additional aircraft rating to a pilot certificate, for other than an airline transport pilot certificate, an applicant must meet the appropriate requirements of this section for the additional aircraft rating sought.

(b) Additional category rating. An applicant who holds a pilot certificate and applies to add a category rating to that pilot certificate:

(1) Must have received the required training and possess the aeronautical experience prescribed by this part that applies to the pilot certificate for the aircraft category and, if applicable, class rating sought;

(2) Must have an endorsement in his or her logbook or training record from an authorized instructor, and that endorsement must attest that the applicant has been found competent in the aeronautical knowledge areas appropriate to the pilot certificate for the aircraft category and, if applicable, class rating sought;

(3) Must have an endorsement in his or her logbook or training record from an authorized instructor, and that endorsement must attest that the applicant has been found proficient on the areas of operation that are appropriate to the pilot certificate for the aircraft category and, if applicable, class rating sought;

(4) Must pass the required practical test that is appropriate to the pilot certificate for the aircraft category and, if applicable, class rating sought; and

(5) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

61.63 b 1 required you to have the required training and possess the aeronautical experience prescribed by this part that applies to the pilot certificate for the aircraft category....sought.

Under Subpart E Private Pilots 61.109 Aeronautical Experience, you are required to have training that includes
3 hours of cross country flight training in a single-engine airplane
3 hours of night training in a single engine airplane including at least
...1 cross country over 100 nm
...10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop
.........with each involving flight in the traffic pattern
...3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane controlling by reference to instruments
...3 hours prepping for the practical test and
...10 hours of solo flight in a single engine airplane including
......5 hours of solo cross country of at least 150 nm total and
...........full stops at at least 3 airports
............at least one segment at least 50 nm between takeoff and landing locations.
.......3 take off and landings to a full stop involving traffic pattern flight at a controlled airport.

Obviously, many of those requirements can be knocked out concurrently, but each must be met as I see it.

I've done the fixed wing add on thing if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
If you flew a cross country over 100 miles at night under the hood for 3 hours, did 10 takeoffs and landings and met the solo requirements of 10 hours broken down as listed above only a little over 13 hours of flying, 3ish of which would be dual and you would be legal for your checkride. I'd say go up with an instructor for a couple/few hours learn the airplane and how much easier it is to fly than a helicopter then do your 3 hour night/instrument/cross country deal and solo for 10 hours. After all that I see no reason why you couldnt get it done in 17-20 hours max.

I've got flights scheduled on tues and wed. Hopefully that will let me become proficient at most of the manuevers. Hopefully knock out most of my solo time next week, then take my checkride the week of the 21st...thats my plan anyway?

Does the instrument part have to be under a hood? I've had someone suggest doing night/instrument/cross country together in one 3 hour flight, if its not under a hood can I "legally" call that "training in a single-engine airplane controlling by reference to instruments"?

thanks for answering my questions guys...i want to get this knocked out quickly, but I don't want to show up for the practical and look like an idiot in front of the examiner...

Why not just go ahead and get your Commercial Fixedwing instead of your private?

Spend a few extra flights and save yourself a checkride. That's what I plan on doing for my glider liscense.

night/instrument/cross country
by instrument I meant under a hood. With helo experience the private and or commercial checkrides are basically a few maneuvers and some landings....really pretty easy.

Almerick07 said:
If you flew a cross country over 100 miles at night under the hood for 3 hours, did 10 takeoffs and landings and met the solo requirements of 10 hours broken down as listed above only a little over 13 hours of flying, 3ish of which would be dual and you would be legal for your checkride. I'd say go up with an instructor for a couple/few hours learn the airplane and how much easier it is to fly than a helicopter then do your 3 hour night/instrument/cross country deal and solo for 10 hours. After all that I see no reason why you couldnt get it done in 17-20 hours max.

Can you do the night and the hood at the same time. The DE I used when I was an active CFI said NO. I would look it up but I do not have the FARs with me right now.

Latest resources

Back