• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I legal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yep, got it all worked out. Talked to the fsdo, and all I have to do is three bounces and "instruction" with the guy i'm flying with who has his cfi, sign my logbook, load the pax and go. Thanks again Avbug.

Good luck. As long as someone else is paying for it, it's all good!

Do you mean to say that a private pilot can be a contract pilot?? As in...contracting his or her services (pilot services) for compensation?

I don't believe the subject of contract work or compensation ever came up. So no, I said nothing about those things.

Seeing as you brought it up, however, a private pilot may not act for compensation or hire.

The thread topic is acting as second in command. The minimum certification to act as second in command in an aircraft requiring more than one crewmember, as specified in 14 CFR 61.55, is a private pilot certificate, with an instrument rating.

§ 61.55 Second-in-command qualifications.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (f) of this section, a person may serve as a second-in-command of an aircraft type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or in operations requiring a second-in-command only if that person holds:

(1) At least a current private pilot certificate with the appropriate category and class rating; and

(2) An instrument rating that applies to the aircraft being flown if the flight is under IFR; and

(2) An instrument rating that applies to the aircraft being flown if the flight is under IFR.

(3) The appropriate pilot type rating for the aircraft unless the flight will be conducted as domestic flight operations within United States airspace.

I don't believe the subject of contract work or compensation ever came up. So no, I said nothing about those things.

??

learflyer said:
Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up, i'm not an 18 yr old school girl.:D I just received a phone call from an agency needing a contract pilot (sic) for the beechjet. I'm not current on the acft, haven't been to school on it since May 05'. I'm type rated. Am I ok to swing gear? Fly in the Left seat (but not as PIC on acft)? The guy I spoke with says I'm ok to fly as sic.

I see by your reply that you weren't trying to imply that he need only the Private to act for compensation, just for SIC privileges.

-mini

All we were trying to decipher, was what bare minimum I needed to do to get current to act as an SIC. I've been in the fractional world for several years, and I think I was confusing 135.(299), (297), with what minimum is required for a simple ole' part 91 flight. Avbug was kind enough to get me thinking about 61, 91 again.

Actually, so long as you have a PPC in the last 12 months in any 2 pilot aircraft, your May '05 Beechjet PPC would still be valid for PIC privileges in the Beechjet. FAR 61.58 Interestingly, the regs are type-specific within the last 12 months for SIC, but not PIC. But we'll assume that you don't have any other PPC within the last 12 months and that you are interested in only the SIC, not PIC, requirements.

Latest resources

Back