alternates to CFIing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h8CFIing

I haven't even got my CFI yet but it is what i am currently working on and already i don't want it. The idea of flying and somebody else paying for it is the only thing that motivates me. Does anyone know of any other way to build time while making money, even if it is minimal money, toward an eventual descent job. I know of check running and somebody was telling me about bush piloting in Alaska and how easy it was to land jobs up there. The guy sounded full of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** but i do know that they have some weird rules up there

I am unsure how much luck you would have in Alaska due to your low total time, keep in mind that many of the part 135 operators there fly single pilot operations and you are still well below the required part 135 captain minimums. You may want to look into getting some sort of second in command gig but I am pretty sure they are going to want to see that you have more flight time, worth looking into though if that is what you really want to do. Don't get the CFI just due to the fact that you need to "build" flight time, do it for the experience factor. The CFI is a great way to expand on what you already know and many companies will want to see that you were able to obtain this rating. It is a very competitive job market out there present day so I do suggest that you pursue this rating even if you don't have any intentions of using it long term. If anything it will make a resume look better... Do as you wish but I surely think that this is the way to go.

You may also want to look into traffic watch, banner towing, flying jumpers, etc, etc,... These sorts of jobs seem to be the easier to obtain entry level jobs in the market. Even here most places will require atleast 500 to 700 hours of flight time as the insurance company reqts. will vary.

Also look into some of the local charter outfits in your area since some of these places always seem to be looking for a time/experience builder to fly right seat in aircraft that are type certificated for single pilot operations. You may get lucky, I got my first part 135 sic gig right around 400 hours total time, a lot has to do with being in the right place at the right time. The money is not going to be great but atleast you will be able to build quite a bit of experience.

good luck,

3 5 0

no CFI'ing is NOT FUN.

But it is great experience. much better than you will ever get flying jumpers or traffic watch.

Do like so many before you have, put in a year or two and be done with it. Dont try and re-invent the wheel.

It's a means to an end...if the certificate didnt cost so much I would simply throw it out. Never have any intention on using it again...but it proved to be a good stepping stone.

Nobody ever has any intention on making it a career.

good luck.

For most guys, flight instructing is a necessary "evil". Actually, you can make of it whatever you want. Personally, I find it to be (for the most part) an enjoyable endeavor.

I would highly recommend that you get your CFI and spend some "quality time" teaching. Remember, in any teaching situation, it's always the teacher who learns the most. The same thing applies in aviation. Getting your CFI and actively instructing for a while will teach you things about flying that you will only learn through instructing. In my case, I had an ATP and over 3,000 hours before I got my CFI. I thought that somehow I had "dodged a bullet" by being able to go directly into Part 135 (charter) flying after I got my commercial and instrument rating. I was wrong. I ended up getting my CFI certificate so that I could keep my hand in flying while I went to school full time to finish up my degree. I learned a lot and to this day the lessons are very valuable and useful. Don't avoid becoming a CFI, in my opinion it is a valuable step in your aviation career.

The real question is how long do you need to be an active CFI? My personal opinion is that you'll probably get about all your going to get out of flight instructing after 500 to 1000 hours - more than than and you may find yourself getting burned out. Besides, there seems to be a point of diminishing returns. Remember, there's a big difference between 2,000 hours of experience and 1 hour of experience repeated 2,000 times. Flight instruction tends to fall into the latter category.

Have fun.

Lead Sled

Instructing

Gulfstream 200 said:
no CFI'ing is NOT FUN.
I actually enjoyed most of the six years that I instructed, perhaps because it was flying and the enjoyment therein of going to work. It was flight school politics that I didn't like.

I try to speak plainly and unambiguously, and I say what is on my mind. That doesn't always go over well in flight schools, which are great training grounds for politicians as well as pilots. And you know what they say about politicians. As it was said in the movie, "I want to know the truth." "You can't handle the truth." But I enjoyed (most of) my students and the gratficiation of getting the phone call saying that "I passed" remains indescribable.
Nobody ever has any intention on making it a career.
Probably because the working conditions for most instructors suck royally. But, for those who really enjoy instructing, there are a number of schools that pay well and have great working conditions, notably International Flight Training Academy (Airstaff Inc.) in Bakersfield, California, and Airline Training Center Arizona in Phoenix. Both places operate excellent equipment in state-of-the-art facilities and pay well. Both places really want people who like instructing and want to stay.

Of course, some people just don't want to instruct, because they are no longer "flying" and having the same fun they did while they were in school "flying." Well, welcome to the real world, where it is time to get a job and work your way up. That could mean no "fun" for a while, especially if you can't get a flying job with only your fresh Commercial. Those people should rethink their plans, because flight instructing is the easiest entry-level flying job obtainable. Contrary to popular belief, flight instructors still fly the airplane. They still have to demonstrate maneuvers. All the while, the experience and learning obtained while instructing is unbelievable in terms of quality and quantity. Moreover, airlines like pilots who have a CFI and have instructed.

Just a little more food for thought. Good luck with whatever you decide.

much better than you will ever get flying jumpers
I enjoyed my 1000 hours flying jumpers...You don't go far (that's right), but you climb high. :D
If the DZ is busy, the $$ is good and you migth upgrade from your "rookie" C182 to a C208 or a DHC6...Turbine time is always good to log.
I flew a C182, a C210, a Be50 out of a 2,900 x 30 ft gravel runway, under the Lone Star State sun...Fun time, good time.
You explore your airspeed indicator, enjoy full negatiive VSI range, understand CG shift...and also meet people crazier than you :rolleyes: .

Latest resources

Back