Alpha Flying - Fractional PC-12 Operator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Does anyone know or have experience with Alpha Flying (fractional PC-12 operator) out of New Hampshire - near Boston? I have seen the website and I am somewhat familiar with the operation.

Anyone here fly for Alpha Flying? Is it a good place to work - any opinions? What are the pilot domiciles or gateways?

What is the PC-12 like to fly - is it a fun aircraft? Any examples of common trips or schedule (e.g., likely to fly 5-7 legs per day...)?

Appreciate any comments or opinions.

Heavy Set said:

Anyone here fly for Alpha Flying? Is it a good place to work - any opinions? What are the pilot domiciles or gateways?

PDK Epps Aviation southeast Pilatus dealer, full service FBO, and launching point for PlaneSense aircraft
MHT Wiggins Aviation full service FBO and launching point for PlaneSense aircraft

Looks like PDK and MHT are the only crew bases ("launching point for PlaneSense")

I tried getting on with Alpha in 1998 when I lived within 15 minutes of their then main base at ASH. Tried again earlier this year for the PDK base. Got no response to e-mail or snail mail either time.

I know they fly their planes with FOs for insurance reasons, so my guess is that you'd need PC-12 time to get the left seat.

I've flown for Alpha for a couple of years. Excellant place to work. Only base is MHT. No domiciles and I believe they want you to live local. We have nothing to do with Epps in PDK. PC12 is terrific airplane to fly. 4 tube efis, Bendix MFD with EGPWS, TCAS I, uplink weather, etc. Reasonably fast (250 kts all day and 260-265 at 160-240). Everyone works a 6 on 4 off schedule. No typical day. Everything from stay home we don't need you, to 7 leg day with minimum time between turns. We do the typical local stuff (BED-ACK, ACK-BDR, BOS-LGA) and plenty of long range (HPN-MIA, PBI, CRG and the like). It's not unusal to be gone 4-6 days on a row and in the summer time have 6 day trips back to back. Nice variety of places and just when you are getting tired of the short day trips, winter comes and we start the florida trips. PM if you have any other questions.

I interviewed there in January 2002 right after I was furloughed. Everyone seemed quite friendly. I was impressed by the operation; it seemed very professional. In the end I was told I wasn't hired because they were afraid of furloughees from other airlines coming and going. No regrets, seemed like a pretty nice outfit overall.

Has there been any Known Engine Failures on the PC 12???

Seems like a Major risk to fly a Single Engine Aircraft Hard IFR like that on a Regular Basis! The PT6 is a good engine >> but your throwing a lot of faith in it when you only have 1!

Engine failures ...

There was one in northeastern Canada a few years ago - they crashed in a swamp, or in the ocean maybe, I can't remember. Might've been a ferry flight from Europe?

Hey, at least it's a turbine! There are plenty of people (freight dogs) flying hard IFR in piston singles. And that PC-12's got a pretty nice glide ratio ...

I wouldn't want to fly it across the North Atlantic every week, but hard IFR over land = :eek:

Also one that ditched somewhere between the West Coast and Hawaii, plus a fairly recent one in NJ (I think Morristown) shortly after take-off. I don't think any resulted in fatalities.

I think there is only one that was a true engine failure. Happened on climb out and they made it back to the airport, landed long and slid off the end.

The one that ditched in the ocean is suspect when you read the report. According to what I read, the pilot said that the ITT was fluctuating badly so he shut it down!! I don't care what was happening inside the engine, if it was still producing power there is no way a normal person would cage it over open water when that is all you have. After reading the report I would bet that it is at the bottom with nothing but saltwater in the fuel tanks.

We used to operate a PC-12 and it was a good plane. Most of the incidents were pilot error. ( off the end of runway, x-wind incidents etc...) Not many of the PC's are operated by professional pilots. Most are owner operator. I have seen a couple flown by peeps that I would not trust in a 150.

Having said that, it is a good plane with a reliable engine but it still is a single. Not many options in heavy weather if one does quit. But on the flip side you get B-200 speed with half the fuel and better range and load ability. not many airplanes will give you 265 kts on 60 gallons an hour.

After reading the report I would bet that it is at the bottom with nothing but saltwater in the fuel tanks.

Well, at least he was smart enough to plan his fuel starvation over deep water...

Latest resources

Back