• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA watching out for us?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why don't more of you disgruntled mainline guys try for UPS or FedEx? I know that the majority of guys/gals we've been hiring have been furloughed major pilots with a military background. When our new contract is settled, second year F/Os will probably be making 6 figures. IMHO, it's nice that we have been hiring lots of former major pilots because they know what it was like to have it all and won't settle for anything less here as our company has the means to give it. That's in contrast to hiring someone with strictly a civilian/regional background who is all bug eyed at the thought of flying a widebody and is just happy to be here at any pay and would probably not fight very hard to get more.

The bottom line is this: What can ALPA national do LEGALLY to stop this bottoming out??? What can they do? Nothing. Management teams have the bankruptcy card and we have nothing; well besides no LAHSO at most airports. Unions do nothing but stave-off the inevitable-a crap career in the airline biz.

FreightNazi said:
Why don't more of you disgruntled mainline guys try for UPS or FedEx? I know that the majority of guys/gals we've been hiring have been furloughed major pilots with a military background. When our new contract is settled, second year F/Os will probably be making 6 figures. IMHO, it's nice that we have been hiring lots of former major pilots because they know what it was like to have it all and won't settle for anything less here as our company has the means to give it. That's in contrast to hiring someone with strictly a civilian/regional background who is all bug eyed at the thought of flying a widebody and is just happy to be here at any pay and would probably not fight very hard to get more.

Because making $120/hr. at a bankrupt carrier is still better than quitting and making $26 or even $50/hr. As long as you have the money coming in, it's tough to voluntarily crawl out of the DC9 Capt. seat into the FE seat at a freight outfit.

Besides, who's to say Fred or the guys in the bunker at UPS won't decide to follow the lead of the majors rather than pay someone $400k to fly a 727?TC

screwed_again said:
The bottom line is this: What can ALPA national do LEGALLY to stop this bottoming out???

Did you notice that every ALPA contract is signed by Duane Woerth? He could simply refuse to sign any further concessionary contracts. Sure, it could possibly open a can of worms, but it would provide the kind of leadership that the U.S. airline pilots need.

AA717driver said:
Besides, who's to say Fred ... won't decide to follow the lead of the majors rather than pay someone $400k to fly a 727?TC
Me and 4499 of my best buddies.

:)

TonyC said:
Me and 4499 of my best buddies.

:)

Oh get off your high horse. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for my buddies over at your company. Rest assured though, if your airline falls on hard times you and 4499 of your buddies are no more powerful than any other seniority list in this industry. If it comes to it, you will suffer the same fate the rest of us have. I certainly hope not, but do not be surprised if you end up sending out another resume someday...nothing is for sure. Wasn't UAL trading at $110/share less than 6 years ago? Food for thought.

IB6 UB9 said:
Oh get off your high horse.
Since you missed the point, I'll spell it out for you. AA717Driver's post implied that Fred could unilaterally impose lower wages (or is it file for bankruptcy? perhaps I misinterpreted his "follow the lead of the majors" reference) on his pilots. As much as it must pain Mr. Smith, such is not the case. You see, before he can change the wages, either up or down, he must first talk to ALPA.

So, to answer AA171Driver's question, we do.

RichardFitzwell said:
I think you may be setting yourself up for a major let down.
Because I don't think Mr. Smith will reduce my wages on a whim, I'm setting myself up for a letdown? Please explain.

Tony--I meant impose wage cuts via the bankruptcy code (although it's not as easy now). The point was that no one is safe and you never know where the next curve ball will come from.

Who 5 years ago forsaw the use of Sec. 363 of the BK code? That's the section the Ch. 11 has to be filed under to exercise Sub. Sec. 1113 to void contracts.

What other trap doors have been inserted that we can't imagine in our wildest dreams?TC

Latest resources

Back