• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa President John Prater's Video Response To Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that says it all right there. You're pissed off, so you're going to crucify someone to satisfy your blood lust. It doesn't matter what the negative effects will be, as long as you've had someone's head on a platter. Pathetic.

Way to the first three words of his post out of context...get with it.

So the FAA, WH, ATA, DOT, special interest groups, ICAO and who ever else in the international industry and all their money want Age 65... and a majority of 66,000 US pilots are going to do what......exactly..... what are you going to do..........?

So the FAA, WH, ATA, DOT, special interest groups, ICAO and who ever else in the international industry and all their money want Age 65... and a majority of 66,000 US pilots are going to do what......exactly..... what are you going to do..........?

I'm willing to consider everything, up to and including, a new union! I respect ALPA and I like Captain Prater, but if ALPA can't shape this change into a more broadbased benefit, or our leader can't help us ALL see his vision, then it's not working IMHO. This event, specifically, could be a tipping point. Most oppose it now and unless pilot labor gets some significant input into the final rule, 90% will regret it when it is implemented. That's a good time to consider a change. We're a large group of workers who make pretty good money and are willing to spend for good representation; we aren't getting our money's worth!

ATA had a union change with AFL-CIO involved. Any of you folks care to weigh in?

PS: All this being said, my first wish is for Captain Prater to lead and inspire us all to support ALPA and make this a good thing for every member.

[/quote]Its an NPRM. How about fighting to the end and not providing political cover to Blakely? All the press coverage is quick to point out that ALPA is "divided" and mentions the change in ALPA leadership. Prater should have taken an agressive public stance, not the wink and nudge.[/quote]

ALPA proudly points out that they were able to shoot down the NPRM from the DOT concerning foreign ownership last year. I personally don't see the difference between the DOT and FAA in regard to fighting a NPRM they are against. Does someone know if there is a difference? If not, get on it for your members sake.

His own gain? What does Captain Prater have to gain by all this? A pissed off mob of guys like yourself? Age-60 doesn't affect the ALPA President. He can continue to serve, and even run again, long after passing the age of 60. Sorry, but personal gain does not apply here.

As long as the people around him are happy with his performance, he will feel that he's doing a good job and everybody loves him. Who's around him? A bunch of 55 year old pilots who are political in nature. What message do you think he's getting from them? It sure isn't pissed-off mob.

I hope he doesn't just sit there fiddling while Rome burns around him.

PIPE

Last edited:
My intention is to get the pissed off mob to understand the dynamics of the situation so they can effect change.......

calling for recall is not going to help your situation...

As one who always tries to call the pilots to action, I would think you would approve of some motivated pilots taking action. What would be so wrong with having a pres that effectively attempts to do as his constituents wish? On a related note, Why would a SkyWest pilot want ALPA if this is the kind of representation they could expect? I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of the SkyWest pilots will be negatively impacted by a 65 retirement age.

As one who always tries to call the pilots to action, I would think you would approve of some motivated pilots taking action. What would be so wrong with having a pres that effectively attempts to do as his constituents wish? On a related note, Why would a SkyWest pilot want ALPA if this is the kind of representation they could expect? I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of the SkyWest pilots will be negatively impacted by a 65 retirement age.

Valid point.... but mob frenzy isn't effective....

An effective call to action is boring and takes free time away.... any one interested in that?

Its an NPRM. How about fighting to the end and not providing political cover to Blakely? All the press coverage is quick to point out that ALPA is "divided" and mentions the change in ALPA leadership. Prater should have taken an agressive public stance, not the wink and nudge.[/quote]

ALPA proudly points out that they were able to shoot down the NPRM from the DOT concerning foreign ownership last year. I personally don't see the difference between the DOT and FAA in regard to fighting a NPRM they are against. Does someone know if there is a difference? If not, get on it for your members sake.[/quote]

Well? Rez?

Its an NPRM. How about fighting to the end and not providing political cover to Blakely? All the press coverage is quick to point out that ALPA is "divided" and mentions the change in ALPA leadership. Prater should have taken an agressive public stance, not the wink and nudge.

ALPA proudly points out that they were able to shoot down the NPRM from the DOT concerning foreign ownership last year. I personally don't see the difference between the DOT and FAA in regard to fighting a NPRM they are against. Does someone know if there is a difference? If not, get on it for your members sake.

Well? Rez?

ALPA didn't single handedly shoot down foreign ownwership.... There was support for many others....plus the changing of congress was the final straw. (can you say ALPA-PAC?) There was much more support against Foreign Control than Age60/65....

I would guess that more ALPA pilots are aligned with stopping F.Ownership than Age65. I would also guess that outside of ALPA more people are against FO as it effects so many... Recall Dubai ports? The outcry was very loud. Who else is crying loud about Age60/65 except the Air Line pilots themselves.

It all comes down to political support. Just because ALPA wants something to happen doesn't mean they just make it so... ALPA, like any association on the Hill, has to find others who share support or who are willing to support in exchange for support...

It is the way it is done on CapHill....like it or not...

Put it this way..in order to beat your enemy who have to know your enemy... IOW..find out why the push for age 65 is so strong..why it is going to happen and work your issue from there... it may be too late... Age 65 might have so much momentum, too many camel noses under the tent and the point of return passed to to stop it....

Which means if you really cared about age 60 then you might have been working much harder years ago to ensure that processes were in place to protect it... Or sometimes change happens and that is just the way it is... Whatever the case maybe...... Regardless...

What is your response going to be?

1. Recall Prater?
  2. Resign from ALPA?
  3. Start a new union?
One and three take allot of energy and your free time. Free time that you weren't willing to spend to protect age 60...so I highly doubt that you will be successful.. prove me wrong...

As far as resigning.... not sure that is valid... sure it is an emotional feel good that you are doing something but that is like renouncing your citizenship because you don't like an aspect of US gov't policy.

Being a US sailor is no longer a career.... Hopefully that won't happen to US Pilots.... Juan and Xiang are willing to fly our jets for much much less...with no health care and no retirement...

ALPA didn't single handedly shoot down foreign ownwership.... There was support for many others....plus the changing of congress was the final straw. (can you say ALPA-PAC?) There was much more support against Foreign Control than Age60/65....

I would guess that more ALPA pilots are aligned with stopping F.Ownership than Age65. I would also guess that outside of ALPA more people are against FO as it effects so many... Recall Dubai ports? The outcry was very loud. Who else is crying loud about Age60/65 except the Air Line pilots themselves.

It all comes down to political support. Just because ALPA wants something to happen doesn't mean they just make it so... ALPA, like any association on the Hill, has to find others who share support or who are willing to support in exchange for support...

It is the way it is done on CapHill....like it or not...

Put it this way..in order to beat your enemy who have to know your enemy... IOW..find out why the push for age 65 is so strong..why it is going to happen and work your issue from there... it may be too late... Age 65 might have so much momentum, too many camel noses under the tent and the point of return passed to to stop it....

Which means if you really cared about age 60 then you might have been working much harder years ago to ensure that processes were in place to protect it... Or sometimes change happens and that is just the way it is... Whatever the case maybe...... Regardless...

What is your response going to be?
  1. Recall Prater?
  2. Resign from ALPA?
  3. Start a new union?
One and three take allot of energy and your free time. Free time that you weren't willing to spend to protect age 60...so I highly doubt that you will be successful.. prove me wrong...

As far as resigning.... not sure that is valid... sure it is an emotional feel good that you are doing something but that is like renouncing your citizenship because you don't like an aspect of US gov't policy.

Being a US sailor is no longer a career.... Hopefully that won't happen to US Pilots.... Juan and Xiang are willing to fly our jets for much much less...with no health care and no retirement...

Rez,

You make compelling arguments and your points are tough to dispute. Your last statement rings all too true and I fear we may be on the losing end of a long term trend. Perhaps that is why I would like to see a more rigorous defense by ALPA.

Nice post and thanks for the response.

Latest resources

Back