• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA on Emirates and Etihad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I actually think is interesting is what EK/EY/QR think of Turkish Airlines? They have a better position geographically (where Europe and Asia meet--IST), they are ordering tons of planes of all sizes, have chefs on all of their widebodies, and have NO restrictions of entry into Germany, France, etc. They may also hurt the European carriers (although they are in an Alliance), but may beat the ME airlines at their own game. The fight over there looks interesting from way back here! Have at it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Disagree with you there. Dubai is perfectly situated for Indians flying to Europe/NA, Far East Asians to Africa, Aussies to Europe, North Americans to Africa, Europeans to Asia/Afica/India, and of course Gulf Residents to anywhere. IST would require some backtracking for quite a few of those groups. Not to mention the IST airport is a mess and Turkish appears to be chronically mis-managed. Don't see much of a threat there.

The reality is that the biggest threat to EK is a lack of slots and local restrictions. The protectionist response shows that many don't have a competitive response. If Europe becomes saturated then they will send more capacity to North America and Asia. Do you think the US will block EK with a pending order for 200+ 777X's in the balance? How many billions does that represent?

The only saving grace for US legacies is that most of the business travelers in the US are tied to a frequent flyer program. The big threat to DAL will be once EK starts flying to the west coast via Asia and the east coast via Europe.

Based on history street captains is a normal thing at Emirates while screwing their current first officers

Not?

Yes that's true. You need 2,500 hours on type before they upgrade a First Officer. They used to waive that but now they are screwing FO's and making them wait at least 3.5 years before upgrading.

When I joined they said no more DEC's. Then they went and hired about 80 due to a lack of fo's with enough time on type to upgrade. Not completely fair but what is fair in life? How long does it take to upgrade on a 777/330/380 at your airline?

Disagree with you there. Dubai is perfectly situated for Indians flying to Europe/NA, Far East Asians to Africa, Aussies to Europe, North Americans to Africa, Europeans to Asia/Afica/India, and of course Gulf Residents to anywhere. IST would require some backtracking for quite a few of those groups. Not to mention the IST airport is a mess and Turkish appears to be chronically mis-managed. Don't see much of a threat there.

The reality is that the biggest threat to EK is a lack of slots and local restrictions. The protectionist response shows that many don't have a competitive response. If Europe becomes saturated then they will send more capacity to North America and Asia. Do you think the US will block EK with a pending order for 200+ 777X's in the balance? How many billions does that represent?

The only saving grace for US legacies is that most of the business travelers in the US are tied to a frequent flyer program. The big threat to DAL will be once EK starts flying to the west coast via Asia and the east coast via Europe.

I disagree with your disagree. :))) Anyway, Turk has a hub closer to Europe, and actually can legally fly to ANYWHERE in Europe, and they do. If you look at their map, they have A321s to almost every large European city, when the ME airlines are still restricted. They also have different sized planes, that can hit every market. EK has the A330 as the smallest plane, and EY and QR have A320s. Yes, FlyDubai is an offshoot of EK and they use 738s, but they really don't go anywhere in Continental Europe. So, Turk has a huge advantage, and they use big planes too to SE Asia and Asia itself, along with many cities all over Africa. They fly flights to Mogidishu, to Dontsk, to Bamako, to Goteborg. They are the ones to watch out for when it comes to European airlines and protecting their own turf, they have NO ROADBLOCKS, whereas the ME airlines do. From IST they also have 777-300s to LAX, ORD, IAH, JFK, IAD (maybe an A330), and maybe MIA also. But for US carriers, will people overfly Europe (to IST) to fly back to Europe (LHR, CDG, etc)? Probably not. But connection traffic to almost everywhere else is a possibility.

As far as EK flying from MXP to JFK, I doubt many other European countries will allow that (protecting their own first), and Italy right now is on the ropes financially, so maybe there is something going on with politics and ME money. You never know....

As far as EK flying from the West Coast to Asia, I don't think that is a certainty. They would have to get the rights, and those particular countries also protect their own (Japan is very careful with HND slots etc), and it's already been done, called Singapore Airlines. They have FANTASTIC service with "Singapore Girls", flying from NRT to LAX, ICN and TPE to SFO, and onward towards SIN. That doesn't seem to bother the US legacies much.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Yes that's true. You need 2,500 hours on type before they upgrade a First Officer. They used to waive that but now they are screwing FO's and making them wait at least 3.5 years before upgrading.

When I joined they said no more DEC's. Then they went and hired about 80 due to a lack of fo's with enough time on type to upgrade. Not completely fair but what is fair in life? How long does it take to upgrade on a 777/330/380 at your airline?

But I make more on the A320 and it will be around 6 years

Don't forget quality of life.. US versus ME?

I was speaking more specifically.

The hiring process is quite thorough. They do a specific test for 'insular xenophobia'; on day three a man with a beard wearing a burka jumps out from behind a door and yells "Boo !". If you reach for the place where you'd normally carry a concealed sidearm ...... You're done :D

I know people with FAA violations and DUI s working at Emirates.
Failed checkride s and more. I guess it's not that hard and watch Iberia laying off, more street captains for you.

Can you go and complain why you are not getting upgraded ? I don't think so.
You are a slsve to the Arabs my friend

All of you American pilots flying for Emirates under the age of 50:

Answer this truthfully

If Delta, United , American , SWA, UPS or FedEx offers you a job, will you say no thanks or jump on it?

Rest my case and screw this argument.
We, in the states will do whatever we have to do to stop those subsidized Airlines with slaves on the ground because we are a democracy and don't like human rights violations.

I hope we don't have to come and babysit you when IRAN starts dropping bombs there.

Delta buys a lot of those canadian planes with a similar bank in Canada. Just as guilty.

Oh wait, they probably FORGOT that.......thanks for reminding them. The STREET article says you are WRONG......Read the title again please. Is the UAE a poor nation? That is what the Em IM Bank is supposed to help, poor countries. It's time to cut the rebates for you. No wonder you can order 100 777s at a time, and Boeing LOVES it...... Time to stop and play fair...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now i got him all huffy puffy again, mission accomplished, like a cat in a corner being chased with a vacuum cleaner

Latest resources

Back