Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EHE2

Disgruntled User
This is John Prater with the BOD Update on June 7, 2010.
Another week has passed and our pilots at both Spirit and Jazz still find themselves without new contracts. Time is running out for both of these managements, but you can rest assured that our pilots are prepared for whatever might happen when we reach the cooling-off deadlines for both pilot groups.

The Spirit pilots planned a series of picketing events to turn up the heat on management during its final week of “cooling off.” You can join them on June 8 in Atlantic City, on June 9 in Ft. Lauderdale, and on June 10 in Detroit. For more details, please read the latest SPSC newsletter or go to our website. Meanwhile, ALPA staff and our National SPSC team has been hard at work behind the scenes preparing these pilots for any and all scenarios that might pan out come midnight on June 12.

The following 24-hours will be equally notable in Canada, as our Jazz pilots reach the end of their 21-day cooling-off period, which also expires on Saturday night June 12. The Jazz Strike Committee and SPSC has the Toronto-based strike center ready to roll, while both bargaining teams have agreed to go back to the table earlier this week for one last attempt to work out an agreement. The Negotiating Committee went to this meeting armed with the 99 percent strike vote authorization from their pilots, and for the first time, Jazz management brought key decision makers. Meetings are expected to continue this last critical week.

Moreover, the strike vote garnered attention from the Minister of Labour and the Canadian Labour Congress, who are both urging that settlements be achieved. Capt. Dan Adamus, president of the Canada Board, reiterated that both agencies are ready to assist in the process to facilitate a successful resolution.

I’ll keep you fully briefed on both of these situations later this week. I also trust that you will use your union leadership role in garnering support from our 53,000 ALPA members to support our fellow pilots with the resources it takes to secure the contracts they both deserve. Don’t forget to vote on the two separate BOD ballots to authorize the payment of strike benefits for Spirit and Jazz; we need a two-thirds majority vote and I encourage you to show 100% solidarity.

Two other pilot groups’ negotiations are coming to a head soon. The Pinnacle pilot group is entering the last stage of negotiations, and before they meet with the NMB again, the MEC is prioritizing its list of demands for what they expect out of a new tentative agreement.

Finally, the TSA pilots could be entering their last negotiating session. They’re facing a volatile management that might shut down the entire operation and shift all the flying over to GoJet instead of inking a new deal with our brothers and sisters at Trans States. You should know that these ALPA members are ready to make the critical sacrifice for the whole of the profession rather than accept a contract which lowers the standards for every pilot.*

Right in formation in the number 5, 6 and 7 slot, we have the Air Tran, Wasaya and Air Transat negotiations. I’ll have more updates on those and the entire second wave of ALPA pilot contract negotiations about to begin, in the weeks ahead.

These pilots and their ALPA leaders make me proud—as do all the pilot groups in negotiations who are taking a stand against managers and owners who have not yet recognized the value of their pilots or the value of working with their ALPA leaders and members to reach mutual goals. No, some managers continue to doubt our solidarity and the commitment of our Union. Unfortunately for them and their investors, they have not yet learned the easy way or have concluded wrongly that they can break this Union. I want each of our members and their families who are standing united, shoulder to shoulder, to know that this union of professional aviators stands ready to assist them with whatever decision they make.

From the Hill, Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) has introduced a resolution seeking to stop the National Mediation Board rule change that brings fairness back into the union election system. We’re working hand-in-hand with the Transportation Trades Department and other AFL-CIO affiliates to kill this latest misguided effort to put up a roadblock for airline workers who want to unionize.

Once again we have had personal tragedy strike several of our ALPA families. Our sincerest condolences and hearts and prayers go out to those pilot groups and MECs who so recently lost friends and family. Please take a moment this week to recognize the gift of family and of each other in our fraternal profession.

I’ll end on a note of congratulations to Capt. Dennis Dolan (retired Delta), former ALPA first vice-president, who, not surprisingly, emerged as the top candidate for the General Secretary post with the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association. In this new role, he will guide the HKAOA through the execution of its agenda—just as he has through various other leadership roles within the aviation community. In addition to holding a national officer position at ALPA, he also served as president of IFALPA and as chairman of the Delta MEC. Everyone here at ALPA wishes Dennis and his wife Maritza the best in this newest chapter of his proud career as an advocate for our profession.

Please check out this week’s FastRead for more information from your union.

Fly safe.

"Finally, the TSA pilots could be entering their last negotiating session. They’re facing a volatile management that might shut down the entire operation and shift all the flying over to GoJet instead of inking a new deal with our brothers and sisters at Trans States. You should know that these ALPA members are ready to make the critical sacrifice for the whole of the profession rather than accept a contract which lowers the standards for every pilot.*"

That's news to me.

For the $$$

Jazz doesn't know ALPA can't help them, neither do most the carriers in the US.

Forget about the regionals.

It's about the money for ALPA........

We should have taken it in the shorts a few years back and captured that flying as crappy as the deal that was offered was. Had that been the case, Hulas would be over a barrel with his pants down. It would have been a nice reversal of fortune.

I wonder how many Go Jet guys that where singing the praises of HK are figuring out that maybe they've been had. However, judging from the mentality of some of the guys that went over, probably not.

Latest resources

Back