• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA BOD to vote on subjecting 401(k) to dues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now is a little late but still workable...

The time to be politicaly involved in your Airline Career was a long time ago....

What? Did Nancy Pelosi take over the ALPA BOD? She wants to tax 401K's too.

I guess someone has to pay for Bush's drunken spending. He claims he's sober, but seriously, no sober person blows money on the things and in the manner he does.

What? Did Nancy Pelosi take over the ALPA BOD? She wants to tax 401K's too.

Not only her, but most of the Dems on Capital Hill to include one presidental hopeful who didn't spend any time in the Navy as a pilot. They also want to hit ya in many other forms (taxes) too.

McCain vs. Obama on Taxes
Which April 15 would
you rather have?
Current Law
McCain
Obama
Top Tax Rate
35%
35%
39.6%
Lowest Tax Rate
10%
10%
15%
Capital Gains Rate
15%
15%
20%
Dividends Rate
15%
15%
39.6%
Death Tax
0% by 2010
(Repealed)
15%/$10 million
55%/$1 million
Marriage Penalty
None Under
$150,000
None Under $150,000
Full from Dollar One
Child Tax Credit
$1000
$1000
$500
AMT Rate
28%
0% (Repealed)
28%
Self-Employment Rate
37.9%
37.9%
54.9%
Corporate Income Tax
35%
25%
35%
Business Infrastructure
Long and Complex Depreciation
Full Expensing
Long and Complex Depreciation

It's clear that under Obama, just about everybody suffers a needlessly punitive tax hike. Even if you're lucky enough to not see yourself on this list, you'll still be paying. In fact, it's almost worse for the "middle class" with Obama's plan, because those hikes will be hidden in the form of higher prices for the stuff you buy, the denied raise you were expecting and probably deserve, or the layoff you or someone in your family may endure as the result of a severe recession. Surely a man as suspicious of corporations as Obama is realizes that corporations don't pay taxes. He can hike their taxes all he wants, but it still only means higher prices for all of us who need to buy stuff from these companies.

As the lessons of The Great Depression clearly demonstrate, the last thing you want to do in response to a weak economy is raise taxes and get all protectionist on trade -- yet that's exactly what Obama proposes, like Hoover did in '32, and in direct contrast to his forward campaign message.

And John McCain? Well, he gets it. McCain's policy is much more in line with his slogan "Reform, Prosperity, Peace".

With Obama, all we can do is hope that he changes his policy to one we can believe in.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about ALPA wanting to take dues out of our 401K contribution (and any company match). I have also heard that ALPA is talking about taking dues out of our pre-tax dollars instead of post-tax.

ALPA is trying to get more of our money...not the government (like some of the responses imply)

Wouldn't taking the money pre-tax save us from having to itemize the dues expense?

For the few pilots that do not itemize, seems like a good change.

Sorry if I'm off topic. I'm not opining on the 401K dues issue.

Latest resources

Back