• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA BOD Meeting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe you'll see Capt Prater there between OCT4/OCT14th stuffing his throat pouch with Brazilian BBQ, poolside.

They got a nice one too:

wes1402ex.49030_lg_j.jpg

Yet another intelligent post from you. I've come to expect nothing less.

Almost every MEC is having a meeting near the National BOD meeting. Delta is having theirs down there too.

With ALPA pilots on furlough and many facing tough economic time in general, holding ALPA meetings a lavish resort sends a negative message to it's members.

Our dues are paying for this.

The NATCA national meeting is in Hawaii right now, my buddy is at it. Of course he makes more than a 12 year captain at ASA and he's been there 4 years . .

With ALPA pilots on furlough and many facing tough economic time in general, holding ALPA meetings a lavish resort sends a negative message to it's members.

Our dues are paying for this.

ALPA needs to hold their Board of Directors meeting every two years. Being a union, ALPA will only hold their meeting at a union hotel property. Such hotel must be large enough to have many ballrooms available, plus several hundred hotel rooms to support the influx of people.

Union membership is declining around the country, and typically the union hotel properties large enough to support a meeting like this are in "desirable" locations like Miami, Chicago, Vegas, New York, etc. Also, ease of non-reving to the meeting factors into it. Even if you could find a union hotel large enough in Indianapolis, chances are there aren't enough flights from across the US to make it easy to get everybody there. Buying tickets for everybody would greatly increase the price.

Las Vegas would actually probably be less expensive, but as others said it was too hard to non-rev there, and plus it was open season on ALPA bashing because everybody thought the reps were there to drink and gamble.

Given the economic environment, ALPA got an excellent rate for the meeting, and secured the rates for the next 2 meetings as well. Where would you have held the meeting at? Not having one is not an option. I'm sure if you could do better, they would love to hear about it. I don't think you could, however.

And just FYI, your dues aren't paying for any of this. Your dues can barely fund the ASA MEC.

Last edited:
My reps have their phone on 24/7, fly the line, and handle nearly as much sh.t as a chief pilot. I would say they've earned a comfy week.

My reps have their phone on 24/7, fly the line, and handle nearly as much sh.t as a chief pilot. I would say they've earned a comfy week.

Usually the reps spouse and/or kids attend as well... not sure if that makes up for the interuppted dinners, time away from family and constant phone calls....

This comes up every two years.... nothing new.....

Someone who understands! Amazing! My wife won't go.. She hates ALPA because of the time commitment. The idea for "working for free" doesn't equate to her.

Someone else posted this somewhere else... thought I'd pass it along for consideration:

The Diplomat is a luxury high rise beachfront resort that is, ironically, 100% owned as an investment property by the Plumbers Union. They give ALPA a steal of a rate to hold the national convention there, and it has been there for many years. It has taken a hiatus in Las Vegas for the past two meetings due to extremely cheap rooms and meeting space there, but is now back in FLL because it was too hard for everyone to non-rev to LAS. This meeting is the biennial national convention when the MECs of ALL ALPA groups in North America come together to conduct ALPA's business and to elect national officers. ALPA National pays for the brunt of this event by the way, NOT the MEC.

So whoever is trying to run a smear campaign by trying to make it look like our union reps are wasting our money on a luxurious vacation at a South Florida beach resort, please find one of the many legitimate issues that you can gripe them about, instead of making things up. That's just plain cowardly dirty politics.

Latest resources

Back