Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I.P. Freley said:
>>>The pin tells us wether a pilot is with us, or against us.<<<

Am I the only one that finds this concept to be a wee bit extreme?

Okay, forget the "wee bit" part. Just plain extreme. :eek:
If you can't depend on your brother to wear a little pin, how can you depend on him to stand with the brotherhood on any more important issue? How can you depend on him to walk a picket line? How can you depend on him to HONOR a picket line?

It's such a tiny little thing - - and so easy to do. Collective bargaining is a reality; it just doesn't pay to be an independent contractor. We have strength through unity.

I walked a picket line, and would never cross one, and I don't wear that stupid pin. One has nothing to do with the other, and deciding something about someone by whether he wears a pin or not is just plain stupid.

Now, if the RJDC had a pin, I would wear that one.

Captain C.

No, he's saying that he has a bit of integrity and a backbone and would stand for principle. Something that ALPA national and our MEC over here at XJ can't seem to grasp and understand.

I guess you would try and convince us that ALPA National represents all of it's members fairly & equally (majors/regionals) ?

Wearing an ALPA pin has nothing to do with loyalty or brotherhood. If so, why are UAL pilots issued only "half-a-pin" during there probation period?

Last edited:
avrodriverj85 said:
Captain C.

No, he's saying that he has a bit of integrity and a backbone and would stand for principle. Something that ALPA national and our MEC over here at XJ can't seem to grasp and understand.

Well, I have another principle. I stand for ALL pilots, regardless what airline they work for. We all loose when one pilot group bashes another pilot group. Yes, I mean both ways.

I do believe National does have principle and backbone. However, National has very little power in dictating said integrity because almost all power within ALPA resides at the local level. Yes, what I am saying is idealistic, so sue me. I am an optimist.

As far as your MEC at Mesaba. Your Chairman is one of the most stand-up Trade Unionists I have ever met. He has come to speak with our MEC (CALALPA) numerous times. I have had the pleasure of spending two weeks hanging out and talking shop with your MEC Reps (back in October 2002). They are just about the most unified MEC in all of ALPA. I do not know if you have ever been an elected Rep before, but walk two years in their shoes and you might have a different outlook on them. I do not believe that they deserve the insult that they have no integrity. I believe they understand all too much, but they were put between a rock and a hard place.

I guess you would try and convince us that ALPA National represents all of it's members fairly & equally (majors/regionals) ?

Actually, yes i believe that ALPA represents all its members fairly. I would be willing to say that ALPA represents its "regional" members more "equally" that its major members. The reason is money. The "regionals" are subsidized by the larger carriers which means more money proportionately goes to the "regionals" than to the majors. As far as services go, we all get about the same benefit. Heck, here at ExpressJet we have the Director of ALPA Legal as our head attorney as well as two others working full time for us. Plus, we have access to all the items in the ALPA "Warchest". I bet yall had the same access at Mesaba.

Wearing an ALPA pin has nothing to do with loyalty or brotherhood. If so, why are UAL pilots issued only "half-a-pin" during there probation period?

I did not know that UAL still did that. I do remember when Delta did that many, many years ago. But remember, those probationary pilots do not pay dues and are just that, probationary. If they still do the half-a-pin thing then it is an internal UAL MEC thing. But, then again, when was the last UAL new-hire?

Wearing of the ALPA pin does show brotherhood and loyalty. It says to other pilots that you are willing to serve and stand by them in times of need. It also says to management that I am unified with my fellow pilots and I will not be swayed!

If you have any more questions of me, feel free to email me any time. I'll send you my phone number so the processes of dialog will be better served.

Frats,
[email protected]

Capt. Caucasian,
Is it true that there is a movement to separate the CALEXP and CAL MEC's? How is the single seniority list movement going? My understanding is that you all were closer to a single list under IACP than you are under ALPA. Is that true?

Inclusivescope

InclusiveScope said:
Capt. Caucasian,
Is it true that there is a movement to separate the CALEXP and CAL MEC's?

Yes, it is being led by the Houston SCABs. They are still pissed that we voted in ALPA although it has benefited them greatly. It really comes down to fear. The SCABs are afraid of us for no other reason than they are afraid of themselves. Fortunately, they are a very vocal minority.

How is the single seniority list movement going? My understanding is that you all were closer to a single list under IACP than you are under ALPA. Is that true?

Inclusivescope

The SSL movement is still alive and well. However, we have run into many large roadblocks, none of which are ALPA or the CAL pilots. The MEC Chairmen of the past few years have continued to press the issue with Gordon Bethune and Larry Kellner to no avail. Our barganing position is extremely limited in this regard.

The most oportune time for us to have acheived a SSL was in the 1997-98 contract negotiations. The company was somewhat receptive back then, but the IACP BOD was not forward thinking enough to act. That goes for both sides of the table.

Back then the threat of the Small Jet was not fully realized because CALEX was a very small turboprop airline. Mainline CAL was growing by leaps and bounds. Life appeared good and all was right in the world (dripping with sarcasm).

There were many studies done by the Boyd Group and others saying that it was time to press the issue, but nothing was done. Whether or not we were ALPA or IACP would not have changed anything.

Here is another fun tid bit of information. In the early nineties (91-95) there was a single list between CAL and CALEX. Both sides gave it up for more money. Ironic huh? But then again, CAL was in its second or third bankruptcy and still reeling from the effects of Frank. I guess no one was thinking too clearly.

I have been in a indepentdant union before (IACP) and I can say with some authority that we are much better off as ALPA. The IACP was disorganized and bleeding cash. The services that we enjoy with ALPA are light years ahead of what the IACP could offer. And, if we need anything at CALEX we get it. ALPA is looking to us (the combined MEC of CAL and CALEX) to reshape and rejuvenate ALPA. Imagine if every airline brand had only one MEC.

Frats,

Capt. Caucasian,

Thanks for the info.

How does the single MEC at CAL work with regards to scope? Is the XJT part of the MEC going to accept any "scope" that the mainline part of the MEC is going after? Since mainline has the role call votes, doesn't that put the XJT pilots at a disadvantage?

Last edited:
The CALEX half of the MEC is completely onboard with scoping the ever-livin-bejesus out of XJT. Unfortunately, pandora's box has already been opened with regards to the fifty-seat jet. However, CAL's scope clause limits us to 59 seats or less out of CAL hubs.

We (CALEX pilots) understand that we are our own worst enemies. If XJT is allowed to grow unchecked the race to bottom will continue indefinately and our careers will follow suit. We want the growth at mainline CAL. If CAL can continue to grow and expand (through the use of smaller jets if need be) then movement at the "regional" level will continue and soon those mainline jobs will be our jobs too. So yes, I want to protect my posible future job so to speak.

I do understand why you asking me these questions and I enjoy chance to speak my point of view. However, I will never understand the cause of the RJDC. If we all wanted to be RJ pilots for the rest of lives making poverty wages then I might agree, but most of us want a career. And, the cause of the RJDC will will only prolong or possibly eliminate that chance.

Fortunately, here at CALALPA we do not buy into that line of thinking. We work together (well, most of us anyways. SCABs have a knack for throwing wrenches) to achieve our common goals. Because when you look at it, we all have the exact same goals. That is why we (CALALPA) support the idea of Brand Scope. It is going to be hard, but we are stubborn and hard-headed so eventualy we will prevail. But, my Dad still wants to quit the industry :).

Frats,

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back