ALPA Age 60 Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Purpledog

All you young guys interested in upgrading or furloughed pilots wanting to some day return to work, now is the time to let at least ALPA know that you don't want an increase in the age 60 rule. I am opposed to it because I plan on being in the tropics fishing and sipping a rum drink the day after I turn 60. Here is an interesting point from a non-pilot on another forum:

Why would you want to increase the pool of available pilots right now while so many are still furloughed? Any pilot nearing the age of 60 should have adequately planned for his or her retirement by now. If they say they need to work for financial reasons, then you can bet that they have been living large over the years. Their failure to plan is not your problem, and as pilots about to retire, they are not interested in what state they leave the industry. They too can blame it on 9/11, management and the economy. These older pilots are the ones making the high-end incomes. It doesn’t matter that they don’t represent the majority of pilots; management quotes the highest income in the press as to why they need pay cuts

Obviously posted by someone not approaching age 60 with no retirement or Social Security.

11 years away and it looks very scary. What the youngin's don't realize is that you don't have your million dollar retirement plans anymore and all that good stuff. I wonder how long it will be before they realize that this job is not what it was 20 years ago. I think we will all be working until we die and that had nothing to do with us. Our buddy who wants to be sipping drinks in South America better get into another career because it sure is not in this one.

pilotyip said:
Obviously posted by someone not approaching age 60 with no retirement or Social Security.
Why should that stuff matter? You're flying because you like it. Right?:rolleyes:
TurboS7 said:
Our buddy who wants to be sipping drinks in South America better get into another career because it sure is not in this one.
Turbo, your post concerns me. Where does personal responsibility come in to this? I know a major financial course-change when approaching retirement can be very tough. I wouldn't want to trade places with someone in that position. Many people are nearing retirement and the rules of the game have suddenly changed. However, to suggest that all pilots will now have to work until death because they won't get those hefty pensions, is short-sighted. Pilots starting out professionally today must understand the importance of savings and planning for their retirement. (I still plan to be sipping drinks out of a coconut on the beach.)

Last edited:
...and all you boomers that lost your pensions and the 30-40 somethings that will never make or get what big purple has now, be sure to let alpa know how YOU feel.

but i thought that airline pilots started off making like $85,000! you mean... that's not true?!? :rolleyes:

cforst513 said:
but i thought that airline pilots started off making like $85,000! you mean... that's not true?!? :rolleyes:

Yeah. They start out making 85k, and then lose most of it to concessions in subsequent contract negotiations.
Later, they lose all of it to due to furlough or bankruptcy.

Hi Guys,

ALPA is conducting an Age 60 survey at:

https://www.ballotpoint.com/spalpa/

You young guns out there would do well to take the time to fill out the survey. Old people have a tendency to take the time to fill out things like this and if you ever wanted to keep people retiring, now is the time. Changing the Age 60 rule will change your timeline for every upgrade you are ever dreaming of and will have an amazing impact on your potential career earnings.

Good luck, stop flying for food, the cool jacket, and free hotel soap...

Steve

f28pilot said:
Changing the Age 60 rule...will have an amazing impact on your potential career earnings.
Yes, like $300,000 to $500,000 minimum additional income on the backside of your career.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back