• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aloha Airlines files for Chapter 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know so very little about this stuff, but my extremely limited understanding of it all is basically this. UAL looked at us and may have even made an agreement with us. Oil hit $110bbl and UAL said, yeah, no, thanks though...

Can't say I blame 'em. As for how much they (UAL) 'invested in us' in the past year...I don't know if anyone knows the real answer to that. It was fairly convoluted as far as we can tell.

My hat is off to Yucaipa though. They came in and really stuck with us through some tough times. Armchair quaterbacking goes a long ways here saying if they would have dropped some more coin to make us stronger we could have survived. Personally, I'm not sure how we could have gotten through anything with what we had for our operations.

The people we had running the show were so out of their depth. Forget the big fish, just the day to day ops people who shoulda been replaced DECADES ago. The mentality some of our people had was just beyond abysmal.

I'm the world's second largest Republican but I'll tip my hat to Mr. Burkle and Yucaipa for sticking it out as long as they did. Former board member President Clinton and the Reverend Jesse I'm sure all pulled hard for lil' ol' AQ. Who knows, maybe there is a white knight waiting in the wings.

Rumor has it Gordon Bethune was supposed to be on the payroll at AQ. That is strictly a rumor though as no one has seen him except for one flight crew at a local establishment in SNA a year or two ago... We can always hope though....

Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts. A heck of a lot of people could use them.... not just the 300 pilots...throw another 3200 peeps in there...

I read an article today that said with the recent rise in price of jet fuel, it will cost Aloha an additional
71 million/yr just for fuel. With the inter-island fare war still going there was no end in sight for the loses.

I also heard UAL was talking with us about buying us.

Who knows, the BK could be a tactic for them to still buy us but at a much cheaper price and minus a lot of debt.

Who knows, the BK could be a tactic for them to still buy us but at a much cheaper price and minus a lot of debt.
I don't think its that deep and complicated. Turn on the TV and you will see oil price north of $100/br, the economy is in recession, 75% of people is cutting back on leisure spending. There is no light at the end of the tunnel here.

The "airline" side of Aloha Air Group is not making money, and not likely to in the future in this environment. The "Legal" side of the air group is the only hope. Now that we are in BK, there will not be a single soul in the juror pool thinks that GO! is here for tutu. So basically, this is Yacapia's exit strategy and an all-or-nothing way of influencing the case, its saying "we are done running an airline, we will collect our coins when and if JO pays up in court." Yacapia has the money to keep Aloha afloat until the case if it wants to. It has written enough checks in the past, why stop now?! But if you think in Burkle's shoes, the "airline business" is not likely to recoup his money anytime soon, then why not make the "legal" case as strong as possible.

(I must be sobering up again, bartender!!!!)

Last edited:
Dont worry this is just the first of about 6-7 airlines that will be in BK court before the next 6-7 months !!!!

I don't know if there are six or seven, but Frontier, Mesa and Expressjet are all certainly on very shaky ground right now. If the economy continues to falter and/or oil remains above $100 a barrel, even more will be added to the list.

Latest resources

Back