• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aloha Airlines files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks JIM....sorry you guys are still out. We too hope that nobody hits the streets.

English, I am only slightly worse at Math than I am at career choices and spehling...care to elaborate?

Jim said:
I'm one furloughed HAL pilot that wishes this had never happened. There is room for both of us in the Hawaii market and neither of us deserves this burden. It's all about bad management and stock holders/owners trying to cash in on the backs of the employees. Let's see a realistic ticket price structure and than there would be none of this $hit.

As a 2+ year furloughee on his second furlough since 9/11 - I hope no Aloha pilot hits the streets. Good luck to all of you.
Thanks Jim.. What a mess were in but at least we get to fly over palm trees and exotic tropical reefs. NOT! (insert "we will fight them" Winston Churchill speech here).. Heres to seeing you on the other side of all this.

another cop out in hawaii!
can't we all just have a stable job?
not as long as management runs off with all the money. leaving the working people to deal with their profits.
now i know what to get my 4yr degree in.
airline management,
get rich quick!
good luck ALOHA!

Critical mass of bad management

English said:
Just remember...Don Carty used to work with Banmiller at American...do the math.

Lovely. What a pair these two are.

Carty left American after he asked the pilots for $660 million in concessions and then quietly put $45 million of it into a bankruptcy protected account to secure the retirements of 45 top executives at AMR, including himself and Peter Bowler, president of Eagle.

Now, Carty is involved with the investment group in San Diego that looks like it will take control of Hawaiian when it comes out of bankruptcy. He is well known for his ambition to make his job more important by aquisitions that make his airline larger. Remember Reno Air and TWA? Neither of those mergers were "painless" for any group involved.

Banmiller has never "run" an airline. He's a hatchet man who blows in, chops blindly with a financial machette, and runs away, leaving someone else to bind the wounds. That's why Aloha management wasn't able to put a price on the work-rule concessions they wanted. They just want what USAir or United got.

If there is a lesson to be learned in all of this it is that Aloha pilots can not accept Banmiller's word for anything. There must be an independant, third party that reviews the books, including the money that has been siphoned off by the owners, to determine the situation before any huge concessions are made. For example, who has control of Island Air? In the words of Deep-throat in 1972, "follow the money...".

The one up-side to a chapter 11 proceeding is this kind of accounting will happen.

ALPA National should be sending bankruptcy lawyers to Honolulu to review all of the proceedings and make sure the accounting is accurate. While pilots are inherantly intelligent people, these bean-counters with Harvard MBA's skated through Ethics 100 with test answers posted on the door when they go in to take the final. (In other words, they don't care about who they screw to insure their golden parachute.) If ALPA isn't responding to this, Aloha pilots should be screaming at the top of their collective lungs to make sure it does. ALPA comunications should be doing the spin to the press as well. Perception is everything!

Sorry, I realize that's about 15 cents worth when I'm only entitled to two.

Last edited:
ALPA National is too busy browning their pants.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Eagle, we'll take every cent you got! Good post. I have heard ALPA has at best, offered little help so far. We were supposed to have had unfettered access to AQ's books since our concessions began years ago....Something tells me there may be multiple sets of books....

The one up-side to a chapter 11 proceeding is this kind of accounting will happen.

ALPA National should be sending bankruptcy lawyers to Honolulu to review all of the proceedings and make sure the accounting is accurate. While pilots are inherantly intelligent people, these bean-counters with Harvard MBA's skated through Ethics 100 with test answers posted on the door when they go in to take the final. (In other words, they don't care about who they screw to insure their golden parachute.) If ALPA isn't responding to this, Aloha pilots should be screaming at the top of their collective lungs to make sure it does. ALPA comunications should be doing the spin to the press as well. Perception is everything!

Sorry, I realize that's about 15 cents worth when I'm only entitled to two
Funny how before Hawaiian went into BK that our former owner Adams paid him and his side kick Randy Smith back about 30 million-stock buyback(after the failed merger w/Aloha) and started to report deep loses. Even after our labor board members voted against draining our cash reserves after 9-11!!!!!
Then they proceeded to hire Authur Anderson type accounting types to to hide the $$$ and sucker the employees into taking concessions.
I was glad to see Boeing see through thier BS and oust Adams.

Since the BK filing and the ouster of Adams we have had our best year ever in our history!!! ( 60-65 mill profit for 2004!!) The accounting types can't hide the real numbers now, since they are required to report every month to the court.

Enter Josh Gutbum as trustee (former CEO 9-11 fund). Takes credit for Hawaiian's turnaround-NOT!!!! and continues to ask employees for more concessions. Endorses the Ranch capital plan which involves Carty and is aggresively trying to shove a concessionary contract down our throats
to get out of Chap 11 this year.

These scumbags keep on showing up at Hawaiians doorstep. I hope the Aloha guys can get ALPA to penetrate the Ching empire to get the real numbers!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back