Aloha Airlines files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJP said:
The article was in the Pacific Biz Journal.

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2005/01/24/daily17.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Curious how AQ worked it out with the pilot group in, what, two or three weeks since the Ch. 11? Seems a bit too quick and simple.

Actually, they've been negotiating for over a month. They came and presented us with the whole shopping list. That list was brutal... we made a counter-offer from which the company walked away which IMO was a worse deal for us than our current TA.

I'm glad we held out and didn't just fold and threw away our contract like the company wanted and wanted it immediately!

English said:
Oh, and no more contraction, says PC.

Go figure.

If you look at the flying for Feb, it's 11 700's flying....

The BUR and YVR cnx are replaced with SNA and SNA...So looks like April will also be 11 airplanes flying ( hence no replacement for South Pacific loss ), which should be an even trade.

So I figure unless the 200 shrinks, we currently have 13 pilots below " black line"
with current 200 flying and 11, 700's flying...

Supposedly 2 Captain are retiring early Mar 1, so unless OAK or LAS losses service, I would expect somewhere around 10-12 furloughs...

Sleepyhead said:
Umm, is that like when you get out of a cold pool....

One of my buds talked with a MEC member and he was told there will be furloughs.

Thats what "Elimination of the 5% contingency from the staffing formula" sounds like to me.

The 5% contingency is not a manpower formula as I understand it...

It simply means a certain % of F/O's will be Captain qualified..That's it...

But it does allow company to have F/O's ready to go back and forth month to month.....But they also do 2 PC's a year, from what I have been told, hence extra training costs.

That's what I love about this company - the information changes from day to day, from person to person.

Today I heard 25 furloughs. Yesterday it was no furloughs.

Maybe I should just get a ouija board - at least those answers would be more consistent.

Today the wind is blowing to furloughs again.

Less than 25, and soon.

That means everyone on probation, as far as I can tell.

I know lots of us are taking LOAs and flex leaves, though. I expect that many pilots who receive the letter won't actually be furloughed. By the time they process all the LOAs and flex leaves, they'll have to rescind most if not all of the furlough notices to cover staffing.

I'm doing my part and taking a LOA.

Cray Cray said:
What are they taking LOAs for?

to help keep the junior people on the property. in the aloha culture,when there are furloughs, in order to "help a brotha out",people whohave other options to exercise will take flexbids or LOAs so thatpeople who may not have other options can stay on the payroll.

some people that are well off financially or have other jobs they canput more time into, take flexbids...this frees up flying to be given tothe would-be furloughed pilots

some people who have other jobs lined up, will take an LOA to gowork/fly at that other job. thus freeing up an entire slot for someonewho would be furloughed. a lot of guard guys will take an LOA and gofull time to help out.

me? i'm (for the moment) clear of the furlough steamroller, but i'mworking on my options so i can take an LOA to try to keep someone offthe street.

edit: to try to fix these spaces that are getting deleted.... wtf?!?

Last edited:
Heard this afternoon (Wed), PC said there would not be a lot of furloughs. There was a meeting about manpower today.

Latest resources

Back