Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

Howdy,

I have an interview coming up with a reserve unit that will be one month before the rest of the candidates interview. I am going on vacation out of the country during the interviews. Since I am interviewing a whole month ahead of time with about half of the board members, I am looking for a way to make sure I am remembered (other than a kick-ass interview, because I will have that). My wife is a video producer and suggested doing a short video as a reminder to the board and an introduction to the rest of the board so that I am not forgotten. I thought of packaging this with some sort of cool product for the board members. What do you think? Over the top?

Over the top.

I don't think they'd go out of their way to set-up a TV and VCR in the room just for you. They'll remember.

I agree with CC ..... if you go through with this, you definitely won't be forgotten!! The board will laugh about this for many years to come (of course, you won't be around to hear them.)

Here's what I did, and I think it was a home-run, because I got selected.

I went to Kinko's (Econo Print, etc.) and got a plastic folder with the page protectors already installed in them (not the binder kind). I made a portfolio containing all of the required documents that the unit needed. (transcripts, letters of rec, etc) I also included a table of contents and introduction explaining the contects and purpose of the portfolio.

The front cover had a picture of a KC-135, had the unit name and said "Undergraduate Pilot Training Application for "MarineGrunt." The introduction page also had a portrait of me in my service uniform.

When you hand these out to the interviewers, tell them that you assembled this for their review both during and after the interview and that they may discard it at their discression. This way, after you leave, you really DONT leave. They are left with a reminder that they may bring home and read on the crapper. When they make their decision a few days later, you are still fresh in their heads.

I also included my military training and experience on one of the pages. I tried to fluff it as much as I could while still being fair and honest. If you have prior military background, use it as your major selling point, because this was HUGE with me.

And remember to send them a thank-you letter after the interview. Prepare it ahead of time so you can send them out the same day. Get all of the interviewers names and send it to them personally. Make sure you spell their names right!!!

Good luck!

This is completely off-topic and I hope I don't derail the thread, but I just saw AD SUPT Hopeful's avatar, and I just want to say what a good show Sanford and Son was. I used to watch it as a kid everyday after school. That and Good Times because my family didn't have cable back then.

Latest resources

Back