Allegiant Training Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow...

you think that there's a choice to be made between Allegiant and Netjets...

Do you know anything about Allegiant and Mike D.?

Just want to fly the Mad Dog?

If you have done any research there's not much to compare. And if you're still "thinking" about Allegiant, there's nothing I could say to influence you...

Good luck to you. :beer:

I made the decision and it was actually a pretty easy one when I compared the pros and cons of each. Starting at NetJets on Oct. 8.

I wish all the Allegiant guys the best though. They have all been very helpful in providing information that I requested about the company.

If you have done any research there's not much to compare. And if you're still "thinking" about Allegiant, there's nothing I could say to influence you...

Lay off the crack pipe dude....

About 3 years ago I blew off a netjets interview to remain in my beech 1900 captain position at colgan. Job just wasn't for me. Plus back then, everyone was saying netjets was horrible. Things change over time.

Good questions Waterski, I'll try to address them one at a time:

1.) Provide some sort of training pay.
Currently at $2K a month
2.) Provide living accomodations during training.
Our Pilot Group is actively pursuing this and expect to hear something back soon.
3.) Increase the pay scale to be a bit more on par with other MD-80 operators. Although other MD-80 operators tend to be seasoned and long-established airlines, we're getting ready to ink a 3-year deal that will involve, among other things, an annual pay scale hike and profit-sharing. This will likely put us on par with Midwest.
4.) Provide profit sharing or stock options.
Profit Sharing, yes, details coming soon. We were given restricted stock grants late last year. That will be available to cash out in 1/3 increments every year, starting this December.
5.) Increase 401K matching. This would have to involve all employees so the answer is no. Management is looking into ways of tailoring a plan strictly aimed at pilots.

Also, has there been talks of bringing a union of some kind onto the property? Some, but as long as our representatives continue to be successful dealing with management, most agree it's not a likely scenario. Some might argue, but I feel most pilots really like it here. There was a union drive a couple of years ago but I believe only 11 pilots even bothered to show up. As long as management plays ball like they have been, a union drive will not likely be successful.

What is the current management/employee relationship like? I expect most would say it's pretty good. As airlines go, it's as good as it gets. We have a very popular, pilot-friendly VP of Ops that goes out of his way for the pilots. We do have our issues but we are slowly but surely ironing out the growing pains. Work rules, particularly for reserves, continue to be a sore spot, as with most airlines. We have a compliance committee that works very hard to handle the complaints and design better work rules.

I know it seems that I'm asking for a lot, but I don't find it completely unreasonable to expect some of these things from a profitable airline.
I agree. We're new but growing fast and getting better every day. As pay goes, it's not bad. With quick upgrades, after 3 years, many of our pilots clear the 6-figure mark (w/ some extra flying). As it appears, thanks to our negotiating team, we have had consecutive and meaningful improvements for 2 years and look to do the same for at least another 3.

Thanks for your responses.

My pleasure. Hope this helps, good luck with your decision.

D1

Last edited:
Go to the one with industry standard compensation.

Like AA? Not likely for a new company.

Midwest? Soon, very soon.

I would be willing to bet that same statement was made to many prospective 'lesser' SWA pilots in their early years. Statements made by mainline legacy pilots who've since lost everything.

Not to say we're early SWA, it's a different industry these days. However, Allegiant has a rock-solid business plan and it's maintaining excellent profit margins. It's flexible and has very little competition with a seamingly endless number of available and profitable markets. Growth is very strong and upgrades come very quickly (although that often comes with a move).

Unlike many mainline carriers (been there), it's a fun and exciting place to come to work every day.

Things are looking up. As long as there's money on the table, nothing's out of the question.

D1

Most who knew the old Mike D would agree he's not so bad anymore. He's toned down and mellowed quite a bit. He's even known to be pleasant at times (scary). Quite a contrast compared to the Mike of old.

As to the rest, by your tone, I imagine it's a waste of time trying to influence you too. But that's ok, AAY's not for everyone, but it's a great fit for many. I could easily go elsewhere but choose to stay. No brainer.

This industry has many choices and opportunities. Do your research, find your niche, and enjoy your life. After some bad experiences, one involving a legacy carrier, I believe I've found mine.

In any event, Good luck to you too.

D1

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back