• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Gear Up Landing in Sanford

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heard one comment on the news here in Orlando...could not believe what he said.." the pilot was may have been trying to knock the nose gear down" to make a normal landing...LMAO...media experts.....

Funny, that would have been wild if the gear had fallen down and locked..how would he explain that to the CP...lol

I don't know the -80, but apparently they lost B system hydraulics and couldn't get the gear to come down manually either.

Last edited:
Landing gear on the MD is operated onthe right hyd system. Normally the nose gear is held up by an over center lock. if the hyd system failed there is a manual gear extention like many other systems that realeases hyd pressure and releases the over center lock. Lever by FO seat

There is a note due to the nose gear retracting forward that if a manual extension is performed with no hyd pressure that the nose gear may not come down till below 160 knots. This is caused by the aerodynamic forces holding the nose gear doors shut even with the weight of the gear on them. If you dont have electrical power or your indicator system has failed you can verify the nose gear extension by an indicator on the center pedestal. (kinda like the little temperature probe thing on a turkey, it pops up when the gear is down) Yeah I know this is a weird design to check the gear is down but it is better then if you have to go check to see if the mains are down by ripping up the carpet in the passenger isle by the wing and sticking your butt in the air to look through a periscope to visually inspect the mains.

I've heard there's a recording of some of the ATC transmissions from this flight floating around the internet. Anybody got a link?

Latest resources

Back