All Atps 7 Day Crj Course?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Why in the heck would you pay ATP $5,000 to teach you about the CRJ when you will be getting the training FOR FREE if you get hired at a CRJ airline?

Probably the same reason why many dimwits are willing to throw money away by renting the right seat of a 1900 out, they know no better... It never seems to amaze me some of the questions that come up on this board.

If you've got 5 grand to spare...go buy 5K in multi time, and split that with friends if you can to double up. Fly across the country in all sorts of weather and improve your IFR/ATC skills. You will come out much farther ahead this way, and your experience level will increase tenfold. If you can negotiate or find a total price under $200/hr, you can fly 50 or more hours if you split that time!

Yeah, what a great idea, almost as good as the first.. Throw $5,000 away to fly a multi-engine plane around from city to city.

Get your MEI, hook on to a 91 department, or a right seat gig and do it the "free way" where you will actually "get paid" for occupying that seat.

I would toss both of the above ideas out the window unless you are a Purdue grad and mommy and daddy are giving you that "free ride".

Jeez, I wish my "ride" was as easy as other's.

"Buying into a job" will eventually catch up to you.

Do it the right way.

ALL ATP's is a business, the point of a business is to make money. If you are considering doing this give me a call and for $5000 I'll teach you some stuff out of a POH and I'll even let you fly the CRJ I have loaded on my flight sim. There are a lot better places/ways to spend $5k than on some CRJ training. Do us all a favor and dont PFT, save our struggling industry some dignity.

$5,000 bucks of wasted money. Anyone who signs up for that is a f-ing moron. The CRJ is an easy airplane to learn and fly. 100LL is right, if you wash out of regional airline training, you're an idiot. However, I have not heard good things about ASA's training department. Most of the time, if you've got a high washout rate, it's not the pilots that are the problem, it's the training.

$hit, for about a grand more, you could go buy a 737 type rating. Why the hell would you want to spend $5,000 bucks on a non-type rating, non-full motion sim, non-sanctioned by any airline program?

Waste of f-ing money. The only thing it might do is allow you to drink a bit more beer during CRJ training at your airline.

100LL... Again! said:
Anyone that washes out from a regional probably deserved to.

It's not that hard. If your IFR skills are so sucky that you can't pass an FO check, then you NEED TO BE A CFII and maybe a friehgt dog until you MASTER ENOUGH IFR skills to DESERVE a regional job.

Quit taking up valuable cockpit space pretending to be a real pilot if you are that incompetent.

Word to the wise . . . if you can't pass an FO check on a fully automated, glass, do everything for you jet, you should probably steer clear of flying freight. Being a freight dog requires real instrument skills- flying single pilot, at night, in low weather, with no autopilot or copilot isn't the time for a poor instrument pilot to be learning how to do it. There is just no way the difficulty level of flying an RJ even approximates that of flying an old freighter by yourself to minimums. At my company, we're having a hard time finding quality 1200 hour guys to hire because it seems the regionals are scooping everyone up before they get to that point- that's really scary. I'm glad I don't have to ride in the back of RJs very often.

Most sim rides have everything set up for the pilot including radios, frequencies and courses. They are only looking for basic skills not neccesarily glass familiarization.

100LL... Again! said:
Its not that hard. If your IFR skills are so sucky that you can't pass an FO check, then you NEED TO BE A CFII and maybe a freight dog until you MASTER ENOUGH IFR skills to DESERVE a regional job.

Keep on sniffing glue - you need to be IFR proficient to land a freight job - no glass, no captain to hold your hand, no autopilot, 1800 RVR...need I continue.

In this climate, not even my worst enemy 'deserves' a regional job.

I instructed at ATP and did the program for $1000. Was it worth it? Yes and no, I did the course and was not hired until 4 months later, therfore I had forgotten allot of what I had learned. There were people in my class that had no RJ training and no 135 experience, and it seemed like they were in some cases, understanding the material better than me. My sim partner picked up the sim portion of training very well, he is a CFI with no prior RJ training. The point is, I am a big proponent of ATP and most of their programs, but in my opinion, the allatps crj program is not worth $5000 bucks.

Good Luck

milehigh6080 said:
Word to the wise . . . if you can't pass an FO check on a fully automated, glass, do everything for you jet, you should probably steer clear of flying freight. Being a freight dog requires real instrument skills- flying single pilot, at night, in low weather, with no autopilot or copilot isn't the time for a poor instrument pilot to be learning how to do it. There is just no way the difficulty level of flying an RJ even approximates that of flying an old freighter by yourself to minimums. At my company, we're having a hard time finding quality 1200 hour guys to hire because it seems the regionals are scooping everyone up before they get to that point- that's really scary. I'm glad I don't have to ride in the back of RJs very often.

Dang, I was just about to respond with this exact sentiment!! Seriously, I understand how much more important the passengers are, but part 135 freight is not the place to be learning basic IFR skills. If you don't have them, some company might still be desperate enough to hire you... and you'll be lucky to live through the first week.

Latest resources

Back