All Atps 7 Day Crj Course?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar2003 said:
Don't waste your money. I have a friend who just got hired by ASA and is in training right now. He had no CRJ experience at all. They give you a sim ride in a CRJ and ask you to shoot some approaches. Then they call you back for your interview if you can fly the sim. He told me that they don't expect you to have knowledge about the CRJ. They just want to see that you can follow procedures, fly an approach and hold. He said there are a lot of people in his class with 250 hours. Yeah probably half will wash out but is all due to a lack of experience.

250 TT????

NookyBooky said:
250 TT????

Wow. They should bump up the captain's pay $10 for every 100 hours UNDER 1000TT the FO has. In this case, $75/hr EXTRA for the babysitting duties. The RJ is NOT a one man airplane.

Do they let you use the flight director for the approaches in the sim for the interview? A 10 year old could keep it in the command bars with 65% N1 set.

viper548 said:
Wow. They should bump up the captain's pay $10 for every 100 hours UNDER 1000TT the FO has. In this case, $75/hr EXTRA for the babysitting duties. The RJ is NOT a one man airplane.

Do they let you use the flight director for the approaches in the sim for the interview? A 10 year old could keep it in the command bars with 65% N1 set.

never flown an RJ but can't imagine it being that difficult, push a few buttons and sh*t. try flying a 25 basically by yourself.

viper548 said:

Agreed.

In my humble opinion folks should fly night cargo and live to talk about it before flying passengers. A aircraft full of people is not the place to be experiencing a pilot's first instrument approach, first real low vis taxi, ice, engine, or electrical failure. Experience teaches a balance between knowing the regulations and knowing what will kill you, bend metal, or leave a mark on your career.

I like All ATPS for their quick and effective multi courses. It is a good deal and prepares the pilot for their next step on the ladder much more cost effectively than any school with "Academy" in its name.

However paying $5,000 for training that has zero value in the real world is not a good deal. ASA is tied to Delta who has been sending out terrible indications of where it is going. When an airline can not keep Treasurers, or VP's of Finance, or Credit Card contracts, you know something about the numbers has people very upset.

ASA hiring standards are such that an RJ transition program is not needed to get the job. The news is so dismal that most folks with any other opportunities are selecting other airlines to work at (just like Delta's managers).

I would not spend the money, unless it is someone else's money and you find RJ training to be a form of entertainment. The money would be better spent on a real training program at Flight Safety on something that would provide employment opportunity, like a C208, or Baron.

The RJ is an easy airplane to fly & ASA has an excellent training department. I don't think All ATPS transition course would be a lot of help, but if it makes you feel better sure. As an investment, it is a lousy one - if you enjoy it, or it eases your mind, go for it.

~~~^~~~

If you've got 5 grand to spare...go buy 5K in multi time, and split that with friends if you can to double up. Fly across the country in all sorts of weather and improve your IFR/ATC skills. You will come out much farther ahead this way, and your experience level will increase tenfold. If you can negotiate or find a total price under $200/hr, you can fly 50 or more hours if you split that time!

Anybody who washes out of a regional training program is spending too much time dicking around and not nearly enough time studying and paying attention. The systems are complex but not too hard to learn. If you have sharp instrument skills, dedicated study habits, and realize that a swept wing jet doesn't fly like a 172 or a Seminole, you'll be just fine.

A symptom of SJS is a dwindling bank account and/or skyrocketing debt - don't let yourself be afflicted.

250hrs?

I haven't posted or replied in a long time (nor for that matter updated my ratings.....so not trying to start anything) BUT I noticed the date of your post and have to stop and wonder, ASA is hiring people off the street right now with 250 hrs TT???

Latest resources

Back