All Airline Pilots MUST READ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F18-FDX,

Thank you for getting the word out about this legislation that could very negatively affect the lives of all pilots. It makes me sad that your message was not received in a more positive manner.

I can not understand why any pilot would support this bill. Not only does it take away the rights of pilots to strike (self help) but the devil is indeed hidden in the details. Read the fine print; if pilots are to receive a pay raise, other employee groups must receive the same raise. As if that is not enough, pilots can not receive a raise if it costs the company money.

Hmmm, I guess the only way pilots will ever get a raise will be to change work rules and work harder. This is the same thing that has happened to the railroads over the years.

Even pilots who do not work for union companies should be interested in this bill because often times union companies raise the bar for the whole industry.

This bill is a blatant assault on organized labor in America and must be opposed. I urge all pilots to do as F18-FDX suggested and write to your representatives and insist that they oppose this legislation.

I do not intend for this message to be inflammatory and I understand that many on this forum think that this will not affect them. I think that as pilots, we all have to stick together. What is bad for pilots in one part of the industry is bad for everyone. Sometimes it just takes some time to realize how things have changed. I won't respond to any further comments on this thread, I just urge each and every one of you to become involved on this very important issue.

Union Bill

**This bill is a blatant assault on organized labor in America and must be opposed. I urge all pilots to do as F18-FDX suggested and write to your representatives and insist that they oppose this legislation. **

Maybe the unions need to get slapped around a little to get their collective heads out of their butts or to get off the crack pipe that these UAL guys are smoking. The paragraph below is from an article on the Fortune website about United and it's big plan to save itself. It's a little dated but the ideas are still valid.

**United got off to a weak start. It first applied to the ATSB with nothing more than a proposed 5% pay cut from management and 10% from the pilots. And the pilots' concession was even less than met the eye. After taking a dip, their pay was to shoot back up, so that by 2006 senior captains would be making $295,000 a year, even more than they would have made under their original contract. "Where United started was borderline laughable," says a top government official familiar with the ATSB negotiations. "They thought they could get guarantees by getting their Congressmen to call." **

Of course everyone wants and supports higher pay but proposals like this destroy the credibility of all pilots when it comes to wage issues.

At some point the unions are going to have to give up the pre-deregulation view of the industry and move into the present day. The only way to keep the industry afloat as it stands now is through government subsidies. If that is the union’s true goal then why stop there. Let's have the government pay everyone’s health care costs. Let's give everyone 8 weeks of paid vacation a year. Let's not forget the big raise the government owes us. Should Uncle Sam give everyone a vacation home in the Bahamas too? Where does it end?

The question I have for you union guys is this. If at the end of the day United goes the way of Eastern, was it worth it? John Sweeney will still have his job but will the pilots, FA's, and Mech's

Hog

Do some research. I checked the schedules for both the House and Senate and this bill does not exist. Its a rumor and nothing more.

Latest resources

Back