• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All about the CRJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Adding the FF's at cruise nails the airspeed issue..e.g 280 kts, 1400 lbs/side.

Take your landing weight speed card drop the last 3 zeros and add 20, that will be an approx N1 setting (47000 ---> 47 + 20 to get 67% N1 fully configired at the marker.

Going to pitch mode before adding flaps or pulling one notch of spoilers helps that pitch ballooning from the flaps deploying

Disconnnecting the a/p by using the trim makes the disconnect sometimes smoother

We're taught to set 80-85% N2 configured on approach. N2 because below 79.1% N1 the engine speed control syncs N2, not N1.

Even in pitch mode the autotrim will occur when selecting flaps, won't it? Selecting flaps below 200 and/or hand flying with flaps extention above 200 is better.

Disconnecting the A/P using the pitch trim switch disconnects both yaw dampers as well. Do you really want to do that? The A/P disconnect bar on the flight guidance panel is nice, try it.

Even in pitch mode the autotrim will occur when selecting flaps, won't it? Selecting flaps below 200 and/or hand flying with flaps extention above 200 is better.

Yes, but thats not the point. Think about it. If you are in VS mode and you put out flaps the aircraft is going to have to change it's pitch to keep the same VS due to the configuration change hence the diving movement you tend to get. If you are in pitch mode the aircraft isn't going to do anything except trim to hold the pitch which is mostly not noticeable to the people in the back.

Disconnecting the A/P using the pitch trim switch disconnects both yaw dampers as well. Do you really want to do that? The A/P disconnect bar on the flight guidance panel is nice, try it.

Never happened to me. And why would you reach all the way up to the panel to dump George when there is a really nice red button right by your thumb that does the same thing?

When you do raw data t/o's push the runway update key on the lower left corner of the FMS; no FD. You get the runway update w/o pushing the TOGA button.

If at 320-330 kts at 11,000, and descending below 10,000, go to Idle, select 1,000fpm down, and add 4 clicks (ie 1/2) of the spoilers and you'll be at 250KIAS at 10,000.

Yes, at 70kts don't slam the TR's closed!

Yes, but thats not the point. Think about it. If you are in VS mode and you put out flaps the aircraft is going to have to change it's pitch to keep the same VS due to the configuration change hence the diving movement you tend to get. If you are in pitch mode the aircraft isn't going to do anything except trim to hold the pitch which is mostly not noticeable to the people in the back.

Never happened to me. And why would you reach all the way up to the panel to dump George when there is a really nice red button right by your thumb that does the same thing?

You make a good point about pitch mode, I'll try it next trip, it'll be the something new I learn.

I'll discon the A/P using the pitch trim switch also, NOT the red A/P disconn/stick pusher switch, and see if the YD's stay engaged. See the original pposter mentioned the pitch trim SW not the red button aforementioned.

My new contribution: Steep ATC assigned A/S descents in the terminal area are much easier actually using DES mode while hand flying than guesing and dialing or syncing V/S rates.

Also, JMO: Flight spoilers are not in good style unless absolutely needed (descent w/anti ice), way behind in crossing restriction (put down the USA Today): they vibrate the airframe, waste fuel, and bug the pax. If fast and/or high near the OM drop the gear first, it's gotta come down anyway right? And if near flap speed with gear up drop the flaps instead of spoilers, same deal.

I do like it that we can use them in conjunction with flaps (unlike the mag dog).

Good thread guys..

Thanks.. :)

No, the TURB button is the turbo boost button. It makes the plane actually climb above 15,000.

I think it just slows the response time to correct the FD. As if the FD isn't slow enough already. TURB does do a nice job with damping out some of the oscillations when climbing in speed mode though. It's a shame you can't use it when on the glideslope.

'Bout time the truth came out.

"Don't be such a biotch Michael. If you are gonna eat a hamburger, get an In and Out Burger! My senses tell me you should sleep it off and say you're sorry in the morning."

Last edited:
Let's hear your tips/techniques/tricks to everyday flying on the CRJ200/700/900. While we're at it, include any common emergencies, flaws, or "interesting" experience. Anything from pitch and power settings to smoke in the cockpit.

At the risk of looking like a lame topic, I think it would be very valuable to have an educational thread, since we have a lot of low time new hires out there - plus, I am due to arrive home from an overseas deployment (flying a different aircraft) and I'd like to brush up on some stuff other than the books...

Fly safe!

Nice to see you on line again bud..

Here is my piece of advise, especially now that I'm flying an MD-11..

I recall way back when we first got RJ's at ASA, we got a DAL L1011 J/S rider and on short final he all but panicked that we were going to slam the airplane onto the runway because we weren't flaring.. his worse were something like "You're not flaring!" while he was holding for dear life onto that backs of the seat!

Anyway, after we landed, we explained to him that this is the normal deck angle of the CRJ, mainly due to no slats on the wings, and also due to the angle of incidence of the Challenger wing design. In our case, the CA and I were both not disturbed by his panic, but I could see where that might jar a new FO or a edgy captain to get upset if his J/S rider started to freak out.

So from that point on, I always made it a point to brief guys who's never ridden in the front what to expect for a sight picture on landings.

I'm sure by now (8 years later) most of the regular J/S riders are familiar, but back then the CRJ was much more rare, and ASA's J/S was newly opened so it happened more than once.

Nice to see you on line again bud..

Here is my piece of advise, especially now that I'm flying an MD-11..

I recall way back when we first got RJ's at ASA, we got a DAL L1011 J/S rider and on short final he all but panicked that we were going to slam the airplane onto the runway because we weren't flaring.. his worse were something like "You're not flaring!" while he was holding for dear life onto that backs of the seat!

Anyway, after we landed, we explained to him that this is the normal deck angle of the CRJ, mainly due to no slats on the wings, and also due to the angle of incidence of the Challenger wing design. In our case, the CA and I were both not disturbed by his panic, but I could see where that might jar a new FO or a edgy captain to get upset if his J/S rider started to freak out.

So from that point on, I always made it a point to brief guys who's never ridden in the front what to expect for a sight picture on landings.

I'm sure by now (8 years later) most of the regular J/S riders are familiar, but back then the CRJ was much more rare, and ASA's J/S was newly opened so it happened more than once.
Send me a PM sometime and let me know how the new gig is going! Hope all is well!

Thanks for the responses! Keep em coming!!!

Latest resources

Back