• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The time line varies greatly. I met the recruiters at a job fair in September of last year, 1st interview at the end of October, 2nd interview almost a month to the day later. I didn't start class until '07. I have a friend that went from first interview until class in about 6 weeks so it varies greatly. Everybody right now is going 737 with most of the vacancies from the last bid in SEA and ANC. As far as eventually holding LAX, you will more than likely be able to hold it on the very next bid. The only warning is that AS does not run bids as often as a lot of airlines. According to crew planning their will only be two this year (we already had one). Supposedly, the next one will close around September for a Jan '09 effective date so if you don't get LAX in new hire class I would expect to be in your assigned base for up to a year.

As far as the interview, it was pretty typical - tell me about a time questions. They also had me go through my entire job history and say why I left, what I liked/didn't like, etc. They want to see your personality and they want to know that Alaska is the place you want to hang your hat for good. They even asked "Have you applied anywhere else?"

I also remember a lot of questions to see how much you know about Alaska Airlines...some questions I remember off the top of my head...

Who is AS's CEO?

Who is AS's DO?

What are AS's East Coast Destinations?

What is AS's newest destination?

What is the 2010 plan?

When you flew up here, did you introduce yourself to the Captain?

I remember a lot of these mostly because I missed them at my interview so I wouldn't let missing some of them fluster you.

Once I did the second interview I got a call from one of the Chief Pilots that evening offering me the job-so once the ball starts rolling it's pretty quick.

Good luck

Call for interview.

I got the call to at 19:30 on Friday night! Kinda wierd, must be in a hurry. They told me the interview would be part one on Thurs and part two on Friday. I guess that's unusual? I think they need people NOW!

We need people last week. Reserve coverage is a joke and the wheels on the wagon this summer are whobbly to say the least... Outlook for the company is MVFR

good luck
when did you apply? I heard 7 months with inside help

if you have two, go with the money, long term money and QOL

I vehemently disagree with the 1st part of this post! DO NOT GO FOR THE MONEY! No joke. Money changes with every contract. 2 years ago we (Alaska) were paid more than UPS and SWA. Now look. IMHO look for stability in company, long term company probability of success, advancement possibilities (so as not to get stuck in the right seat or be furlough fodder), QOL (commuting sucks), and then and only then will I look at the money (of course this is when talking about one major vs. another).

All of that being said, I would still go with SWA if the bases work for you. I think they have the edge on most of the above, and obviously the money is better right now.
I agree that I would also take 1st available and then decide if a choice follows. Although morale and money are down right now at Alaska, they will both change as those two items are directly proportional. Like someone else said, it's just a question of when.

5. Pay:
Plan on about $35,000 first year, $56,000 second year and it goes up from there. Credit times are a minimum of 75 per month and a maximum of 85. On reserve, credit is 76 hours up to a maximum of 90 (pretty rare as an FO). On reserve, you're not allowed to fly on your days off to pick up extra time.

I did 89 on reserve last month and as of today I'm at 22 going into my 5 days off.

They will play the 'family' card during the interview but once online they are everything but family. The schedulers are the devil. (Not that they aren't anywhere else.) They money will come - but it will take a while (my guess 2009.)

Good luck and take SW if you have the chance if you don't mind working VERY HARD.

Baja.

BTW - The post above mine is right on!

Last edited:
Beside Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, The myth of the "Alaska Airlines Family" Was the biggest lie I've ever been told.

Last edited:
It's all about timing. I have hit things very well so far. How will you hit things? Who knows. Here is how it has played out so far (1.5 years seniority) I started holding a line around the same time that people with 4 years seniority did. There was very little movement for 3 years so a lot of guys were stuck on reserve for a LONG time.

1. LAX--How long to hold a line?
It depends on how people bid. Example: 2 bids ago there were a lot of SEA MD-80 FO's that bid over to the SEA 737 resulting in almost no new hire SEA 737's. This made people's base position below the 2 year mark stagnate or even drop. The latest bid wasn't as bad and resulted in quite a few new hires being awarded SEA 737 and base position improving. LAX a year ago saw new hires getting awarded a line the first month online. That's not the case anymore, but it still isn't all that bad.

2. Reserve Call-out time:
Plan on 2 hrs

3. Length of trips:
2 day and 3 day trips are the majority. I am a BOTTOM open flying line holder. I am usually awarded a line full of MEX, GDL and other all nighters, but haven't had to go there yet since I got off reserve. Thank god for trip trading. I have done 1 all nighter in the last 7 months.

4. Quality of Life:
TIMING!! I was on reserve in SEA for 1 year. Here is the breakdown on days off per month since then. (1 - 1.5 years seniority) 3 - 16 days off, 1 - 17 days off, 2 - 18 days off, 1 - 22 days off (Vacation month) All months were 85 hr credits and vacation month was nearly 110 hrs credit. One all nighter (I would say my success in trading has been more of the exception then the rule. No I'm not dating/_____ anyone in scheduling) ;)

5. Pay:
Year one $40,000 (Mostly on reserve. 1 or 2 lines), Year two $72,000. (No VSA, does include Per Diem. Reserves WILL be less)

6. Southwest vs. Alaska:
Only you can answer that one. 2 years ago Alaska's pay scale was better than Southwest's. 2 years from now someone else will take the lead and than everyone will love them. It's cyclical.

Upgrade time--
Who knows. Yes people hired 8 years ago are just upgrading. They also experienced 3 years of almost no movement. With only 1.5 years here, I have as many people behind me that it took people 4 years to get that were on the property when I was hired. When will I upgrade?????? When will you upgrade????? We do have options for jets that could result in lots of growth and a very fast upgrade, fleet replacement, a combination of both or nothing at all. They are only options. All I know is that for people that were hired 8 years ago can upgrade now. If you would have been hired then, well, Congrats Captain. ;)

The biggest thing to remember is that everyone will have a different experience. Even your classmates. You may fair better or worse. Also before someone lays down a comment about how I'm "post Kasher" and I don't know how it was, please remember that WE are all in this together and only through UNITY will WE fix this.

Hope this helps confuse your decision. ;)

Nice post brbpole.

it is always so funny to remember back when people said don't go to this or that airline right now, and a year later the reccomendation flip-flops. My experience so far, almost a year, has been all reserve except for one month, and havn't had any problems with crew scheduling, and have had great luck with flexibility with my schedule. Have also really enjoyed the variety in the trips with both Mexico and SE Alaska flying as well as some of the east coast "long haul" stuff. Based in lax and sea and lived near the airport in both places, so short call hasn't been bad at all. have had only 3 "how soon can you get there" calls, and one was to Cabo...so I got my hustle on. I wasn't here for Kasher...and I knew about it before I got here. I plan on hopefully being part of the solution, rather than dwell on past problems, and yes, I was at the rally on Mayday with "dinner jacket" and hat on...

so far so good and wouldn't trade it in a minute for Southwest. (your milage may vary). If you are coming here looking for a quick line and a fast upgrade...this ain't the place for you. we do have good flying, great professional crews, and one hell of a united pilot group.

Mookie

Last edited:
I just pased the one year mark. I am LAX based and live in LA so reserve has been great for me. Last month I flew 68 hours which was the most since I have been here. Most months about 40-50 with 17-19 at home (11 hard days off the rest on call but no fly). I could have held several open flying lines, not every month, but unless they are very good for me I bid reserve. I have an open line this month and have been able to trade some trips around so I have 16 days off. As for variety, last week I had a PVR overnight, rare for LAX, and I am in ANC tonight CUN later this month. Only one GDL all nighter since I have been here and that was because we went through SEA and they gave us a SEA trip. All in all I have enjoyed my first year. Do I wish we had their pre Kasher or SWA pay now, of course. But I remember friends at SWA pre 9/11 complaining that they were the lowest 737 drivers in the industry, now look. The cycles are unavoidable so as someone said, go for a good balance sheet and business plan and hope for the best.

Latest resources

Back