• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska to accelerate MD-80 retirement.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The acceleration of the conversion plan, when combined with the purchase of new aircraft, will expand Alaska's fleet to 114 aircraft from 110 at the start of 2006, and is expected to increase available seat miles (ASMs or the number of seats available per mile flown) by 18 percent by the end of 2008. With an average fleet age of eight years following the transition, Alaska will have one of the youngest fleets in the industry.

= Slight growth.

Z

Now if ever there was a merger rumor with SWA, this would be it. Instant international travel, Alaska, and an all 737 fleet. It don't get no better. Of course I'm not sure about the culture and mgt/worker bee relations over there. No, I don't think it will happen, but at least the possibility is less remote following the MD80 retirements.

What about Airtran? I've heard that rumor a few times. I think it would be a good fit since Alaska has most the West coast and Airtran The East. Connect the dots in the middle and it might work.

kelbill said:
Now if ever there was a merger rumor with SWA, this would be it. Instant international travel, Alaska, and an all 737 fleet. It don't get no better. Of course I'm not sure about the culture and mgt/worker bee relations over there. No, I don't think it will happen, but at least the possibility is less remote following the MD80 retirements.

That is a merger that I would love to see happen. If we have to merge that would be a step up. Cal wouldn't bother me too much either. Just no AMR, UAL, NWA, or DAL. I am sure if it happens it will be something none of us have ever thought of. After the fact we will all look back and see all the signs of it happening that we all missed. Just seems like that is the way it always goes.

I over heard 2 alaska pilots talking to a management type in lax. one mentioned a buy out of ATA's 737ops with etops and some key people.

That would get alaska in the hawaii market. not sure if the swa codeshare would continue though

The Hawaii rumor has been hot & heavy lately. Plus a lot of the ANC crews are scheduled for ETOPS trng next month.

kelbill said:

Come on now. Don't get my hopes up like that.

Z_Pilot said:
I wouldn't limit it to SWA...Continental makes more sense to me....
who else is healthy and operates 737's...

Z

Delta has talked about boosting its West Coast presence. True that it is having finanical problems at the moment, but post-bankruptcy a merger could happen. Remember that Grinstein formerly ran Western Airlines and the 737 fleet would mesh well with Delta's 737-800s and proposed 737-700s (possible in the future with pay rates already established I believe). It could happen...

Latest resources

Back