• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska TA is out. Pay Rates.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Pension formula is 1.9% times your Final Average Earnings times your years of service.

So assuming you retire as a Captain at the top rate at the end of this contract with 25 years of service and that you had been a Captain for 5 years your calculation would look like this...

Top rate under TA is $180. So to find your FAE I'll assume you flew 80 hours for 5 years. So basically $180 times 80 times 12 = $172,800

.019 times $172,800 times 25 = 82,080

In other words your A fund would pay you $82,080/year for the rest of your life. There are several other options that have relatively minor effects on the calculation that can reduce the amount that I won't get into depending on the payout method (50% survivor, 75% survivor, how old is the survivor, did you opt out of QPSA, etc.)

But anyway, for simplicity your pension is $82,080/year. The concept behind the lump sum is they calculate how much cash it would take to give you that income per year. You take $82,080 and divide it by the "going" interest rate (how they determine that is probably already a subject of another thread as we are in a transition which has the intent of shrinking all of our lump sums) which right now is actually very low...say 6% which gives you $1,368,000. Because our plan only allows a 50% withdrawl then you would get a check for $684,000 and the company plan would pay you $41,040 a year until you or Alaska Airlines died whichever occured first.

I ran a spreadsheet on the 3 options for someone like me with 25+ years left to go and if you're in the same boat as me, option C is a really bad idea. I based it on putting the IRS maximum into your 401K which as best as I could find out right now is $16,000/year from the pilot or 25% of pilot income total from company and pilot...and assuming I upgrade 10 years from now...option B breaks even with option A if you can get a return of about 6% in your DC. Option C doesn't break even in my estimation until you get about a 12% return. Don't take these calculations to the bank, as I still have to let someone smarter then me in these kinds of things look at what I did.

In any case it is no wonder the MEC did not want to release the numbers too early because everyday I think about this I am leaning more and more toward "no" in fact, right now I am trying desperately to hang on to the fence so that I will at least have somewhat of an open mind when I get to the road shows.

One other reason to put in the no colum that is having sway with me is that if we get this raise, it will encourage some of the 60+ guys to stay even LONGER to get their FAE up. I've got 30 years to get this thing settled...I have some savings built up...I'll be just fine...the guys close to retirement are probably itching to get this passed ASAP. This might be a strong enough argument for me to vote no all by itself.

later

Just answer me this... With the scope can AAG outsource to a third party and does it have any info on max seats for other parties to fly. It sure would be nice to help the "red hair step children" to help limti the chance of outsoursing. Please shine some light on this. Thanks.

From what I understand, the scope in the TA applies to Alaska Airlines not Alaska Air Group. Simply, they can still give flying away.

Alaska could contract out to a third party to fly 737's or even 777's. The flying could not be done on behalf of Alaska Airlines Inc. Our scope is only for the Alaska Inc certificate. The only language in the TA that applies to Small Jets is for merger/aqusition language. If AAG buys an airline with 76 seaters/80,000lbs MTOW or less then no SLI will take place. Anything bigger then we merge the lists.

Chris,

If you are going to account for the self deposit then you have to adjust by the 30ish% that you would be giving to Obama if not into the 401k

Chris,

If you are going to account for the self deposit then you have to adjust by the 30ish% that you would be giving to Obama if not into the 401k

Please. This thread is F'ed up enough. Don't throw that crap in, too.

The Pension formula is 1.9% times your Final Average Earnings times your years of service.

So assuming you retire as a Captain at the top rate at the end of this contract with 25 years of service and that you had been a Captain for 5 years your calculation would look like this...

Top rate under TA is $180. So to find your FAE I'll assume you flew 80 hours for 5 years. So basically $180 times 80 times 12 = $172,800

.019 times $172,800 times 25 = 82,080

OK, cool. I just wanted some numbers to play with to try to figure out how away our current contract would be from your TA, assuming it passes.

So to add to post 91, which already put your TA about 9% ahead of ours, speaking strictly in dollar terms (not including the squishy stuff like work rules).....

So a 25 year pilot retiring from Alaska would get an $82,000 a year pension (pretax), which is fully funded by Alaska Airlines and adds some value to your paycheck.

I made the following assumptions:

50/50 stock/bond conservative investment strategy (8%/year return since 1926 according to Vanguard)
Age 60 retirement
Male Pilot born 1949
single life annuity (i.e. you get paid $82,000 pretax per year until you die, no inflation adjustment, no minimum payouts, no joint life payments, etc.)
25 years of tax deferred savings
Money from tax deferred vehicle rolled directly into annuity, taxes then taken out as you receive your annuity payments
25% marginal tax bracket
All the above are real dollars (i.e. inflation adjusted)
And all of the above are sort of wags and is assuming I didn't make a mistake along the way......

According to an annuity website I looked at, the example insurance company would pay you $82,000/year-ish pretax for the rest of your life if you gave them a lump sum of 1.14 million-ish dollars. That 82K/year seemed quite high, but I guess this company doesn't expect a guy born in 1949 to live very long :) Anyway....

A pilot would have to save $1300-ish per month (post tax) in order to accumulate 1.14M dollars over 25 years in a tax deferred account. Pre-tax, he'd have to save $1700/month-ish.

So basically, an Alaska pilot (or any pensioned pilot with a similar formula and pay structure) can add well over a thousand dollars per month to his monthly earnings in order to make an "apples to apples" comparison with a non-pensioned pilot, taking the A fund into account. Pre-tax, at $1700/month @ 80 hours per month work, it roughly works out to an additional 21/hr.-ish in hourly rates, pre-tax.

Nice.

I have been reading all the retirement stuff and have to admit I have an IQ of 50 when it comes to this stuff! :)

Anyways, what protections are built into all of this to keep this style retirement for the duration of someones career? I mean look at some of the guys at other carriers that had planned on relying on their pension. What is gonna stop them from making this disappear halfway through a pilots career?

None...right?

I have been reading all the retirement stuff and have to admit I have an IQ of 50 when it comes to this stuff! :)

Anyways, what protections are built into all of this to keep this style retirement for the duration of someones career? I mean look at some of the guys at other carriers that had planned on relying on their pension. What is gonna stop them from making this disappear halfway through a pilots career?

None...right?

Basically, nothing, and I'm unfortunately one of those guys. I think there's another guy on this forum that knows all the ERISA/law stuff, but my understanding is that unless your pilots and your management agree to terminate/freeze/whatever your A fund, the only thing that keeps it going is the financial ability of your airline to keep it minimally funded per legal guidelines.

Worse case scenario is that your A fund (pension) isn't funded for whatever reason and it is taken over by the PBGC. In that case, the maximum benefit you will receive (with few exceptions) would be here for 2009. That table is adjusted upwards yearly.

Moral of the story is if you're young, pretend like you won't get an A fund (even if you currently have one), and if you actually get one when you start thinking about retiring, you'll be able to retire that much earlier. If you're an older guy and starting to seriously make plans as to how much money you can expect in retirement, keep an eye on those PBGC tables and plan on not receiving any more than they indicate. If you end up getting more from your A fund, it's a bonus and your car/boat/RV/vacation home/girlfriend's boobs will be that much bigger when you retire :)

Latest resources

Back