• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UAL 12 year 737
CAP = $136 + 17% B+C fund
F/O = $93 + 17% B+C fund

New Alaska TA 12 year 737

CAP = $172 + 3% B fund + pension
F/O = $115.60 + 3% B fund + pension

I'm going to leave the value of Alaska's pension fund out of the comparison because I simply have no way of valuing it- or at least easily, but I would imagine that it is probably worth at least several hundred dollars per month in gross earnings if one was to fund one themselves. If someone told me what a typical Alaska Captain could expect from his A fund upon retirement, I could ballpark it.

Assuming each pilot has a marginal tax bracket of 25%.

United's 16% B+C fund, 25% marginal tax bracket is worth 21.3% pretax

Alaska's 3% B fund, 25% marginal tax bracket is worth 4% pretax

Apples to apples comparison UAL's old contract to Alaska's TA.....

$136 x 1.213 = $164.97/hr. pretax Captain United
$93 x 1.213 = $112.81/hr. pretax F/O United

$172 x 1.04 = $178.88/hr. pretax Captain Alaska
$115.60 x 1.04 = $120.22/hr. pretax F/O Alaska

plus......the Alaska guys have a very valuable A fund which is not included in the above numbers.....if my math is correct, looks like you guys have us beat with the TA by 9% + the value of your A fund, not including all the work rule/QOL stuff which is probably better than ours as we basically got JetBlue/Valujet/Frontier work rules.

Last edited:
I think guys that just retired are leaving with a 50% lump sum in the $500,000-700,000 range depending on length of service etc. The rest of their retirement comes as a smaller monthly check verses a bigger one if they took a 100% retirement monthly annuity check, but I don't think any body is taking that option. Plus the guys that just left got $100,000 one time payment to leave.

It seems like our TA undervalues the A plan when converted to a straight B plan. I would think even par would be in the 14-16% range. I mean I already get 3% so is the 10.5% they want to give me in addition really a fair comparison?? I don't think so but anybody with number skills care to chime in???

Couldn´t have said it better. We will ALWAYS want more $$$ - that´s just life. But QOL is where it´s at for me. I know I won´t see the long call reserve and being on 2 hour forever doesn´t sound all that great. Also no furlough clause is scaring me with the new "improved work rules." I´m not going to drop the "no vote" just yet, but I will be at the road show asking some questions. I just don´t see how this will pass unless it´s a 55% by the senior guys who just want their $$ and bonus.

Baja.

Even the past two "scumbag" regional outfits I worked for had negotiated "no-furlough clause" language in their contracts. Those companies didn't even have outstanding grievances relating to furloughs.

The way I see it, the furloughed guys initiated the furlough grievance and if any pre-arbitration settlement exists, they should be the ones to vote. Esentially I would leave it up to the 60 to decide the fate of this TA since the MEC decided to use them (as injured bait) to get more money. (injured bait attracts sick fish)

As for you and I Baja... It is hard to tell until after the vote if we will join them. As for the MEC, they have some explaining to do (in regards to the furloughed or future furloughs). I am guessing the Jr. guys will formulate a lawsuit (which they will win & receive 25% of the senior guys pension for damages) Leaving these guys to dry is dangerous for our pilot group and the profession. - Sound familiar ???

Last edited:
For apples to apples with SWA, immediately take off between 7 - 10% of the pay rate for self funding of the 401k. The match may go up to 9.3%, but you would have to pay in 10% to get it. For example, if the new TA is ratified, pay rates go to $116.21 for a 7yr FO and $180.64 for a 12yr CAPT. With the TFP to Hourly multiplier around 1.139 they become $132.36 and $205.74 respectfully. Subtract $16,500 per year from taxable income for the full match, which would lessen FO hourly pay more than the CAPT, probably to around the full -10%, while the CAPT would be around -7%. Just round numbers, but SWA pay rates don't tell the whole story. With profit sharing down to 3.5% from it's historic 10% (probably less than 7% since 9/11), I'd take the B fund option in leiu of PS, and also keep the match.

Airtran F/O rates are published in the commuter airline thread.

. I am guessing the Jr. guys will formulate a lawsuit (which they will win & receive 25% of the senior guys pension for damages)

That's a bit far fetched dont you think? Being furloughed sucks but it's a fact of life in this industry. Alaska Airlines has the same right to furlough as any other airline.

That's a bit far fetched dont you think? Being furloughed sucks but it's a fact of life in this industry. Alaska Airlines has the same right to furlough as any other airline.

There is a little sarcasm in my post. You are right about the right from Alaska Airlines to furlough, but I do think the furloughed guys have the right to see their grievance through. Lawsuits that pertain to these matters have been quite common during the history of ALPA. This grievance was started by the furloughed guys (not the MEC/NC and therefore they should choose how it ends.) I hope to get more information at the roadshows so I can get more insight on the MEC's thinking.

Who knows, maybe a side letter that needs to be withheld due to insider information that pertains to calling guys back with growth is underway. Maybe this contract will get these guys back sooner than later?

The FACT of the matter is:

Alaska has the right to furlough as defined in our current contract. They did not properly follow all the subsections on how to prevent it and carry it out in the event it was necessary. So the furloughees filed a grievance and now that grievance will be settled with membership ratification of this TA.

Last edited:
For apples to apples with SWA, immediately take off between 7 - 10% of the pay rate for self funding of the 401k. The match may go up to 9.3%, but you would have to pay in 10% to get it. For example, if the new TA is ratified, pay rates go to $116.21 for a 7yr FO and $180.64 for a 12yr CAPT. With the TFP to Hourly multiplier around 1.139 they become $132.36 and $205.74 respectfully. Subtract $16,500 per year from taxable income for the full match, which would lessen FO hourly pay more than the CAPT, probably to around the full -10%, while the CAPT would be around -7%. Just round numbers, but SWA pay rates don't tell the whole story. With profit sharing down to 3.5% from it's historic 10% (probably less than 7% since 9/11), I'd take the B fund option in leiu of PS, and also keep the match.
Good comparison. But we don't have a match just the A plan and 3% B plan. I wish they also offered a match as well.

I think guys that just retired are leaving with a 50% lump sum in the $500,000-700,000 range depending on length of service etc. The rest of their retirement comes as a smaller monthly check verses a bigger one if they took a 100% retirement monthly annuity check, but I don't think any body is taking that option. Plus the guys that just left got $100,000 one time payment to leave.

I'm surprised guys retiring aren't pulling every dime they can out of their A fund. I don't think there's any way I would leave one dime in the trust of any airline!

Regardless, you're guessing that a guy that's been around the block at Alaska could take a $600K-ish lump sum, and then receive a small monthly amount beyond that? Any idea what that monthly payment would be and/or what his lump sum would be if he took 100% as a lump sum?

These are all major wags, we both know, but I'm just curious......

I'm surprised guys retiring aren't pulling every dime they can out of their A fund. I don't think there's any way I would leave one dime in the trust of any airline!

Regardless, you're guessing that a guy that's been around the block at Alaska could take a $600K-ish lump sum, and then receive a small monthly amount beyond that? Any idea what that monthly payment would be and/or what his lump sum would be if he took 100% as a lump sum?

These are all major wags, we both know, but I'm just curious......
We cant take 100% lump sum. Only 50%

Latest resources

Back