Alaska rumors...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Worth the wait

I'm waiting to start with Alaska because I'm in the "hired" pool, and that is where I want to work. You've heard the old addage, "location, location, location"? Well, my desire to fly for an airline is "Alaska, Alaska, Alaska"!

Besides, the pool will be emptied "any day now",

Dogg,

Why do you always sound so bitter and jaded whenever you talk about Alaska?
Inquiring minds would like to know?

Not as bitter as Rhino is because they won't call him for a class. Maybe he just isn't qualified enough, or maybe they have seen his e-mails.

mach none said:
Dogg,

Why do you always sound so bitter and jaded whenever you talk about Alaska?
Inquiring minds would like to know?

Mach-you are right. I do sound that way and as such I should check my tone...

As to the why......with the exception of singlecoil, the rest of the Alaska posters, in my opinion, come across very "uppity" for lack of a better word. And, from what I can gather, that is a fair representation of the entire flight operations organization there. The implications that somehow the entire organization is a cut above the rest just rubs a raw spot.. It seems,that for an airline that is consistently un-profitable, all this pride may just come before the fall.

I don't ever get that attitude from the SWA guys or the FedEx guys or the UPS guys. Simple as that... So I just call BS when I see and hear it.....

I will however be more mindful of my tone and try to be more positive in the future. Thanks for pointing it out...

OK. Well, I would have thought the last thing I come across as is "uppity". I usually just post whatever info I have. I stay out of the fray, and usually refrain from "opinions" unless specifically stated as such. There is nothing that I have posted that i wouldn't sign my name to. In fact, I have never tried to hide who I am or where I work while posting here, and have attempted to try and reflect positively on both myself and my company.

But, thanks for your critique. Maybe I can "check my tone" too, just to be sure.

Last edited:
Dogg:

I did not think I was uppity. I appologize if I have been.

I like where I am and enjoy the people I fly with. As do all here. The "attitude" you allude to most likely comes from the HR moffia and their matrix for getting an interview and a job.

All airlines have problems. Including SWA and JB. Each group has their own personality too. Withing that group, the personalities change between bases as well.

I encourage you to pursue your goals and the airline that best suits you.

Last edited:
dogg said:
Mach-you are right. I do sound that way and as such I should check my tone...

As to the why......with the exception of singlecoil, the rest of the Alaska posters, in my opinion, come across very "uppity" for lack of a better word. And, from what I can gather, that is a fair representation of the entire flight operations organization there. The implications that somehow the entire organization is a cut above the rest just rubs a raw spot.. It seems,that for an airline that is consistently un-profitable, all this pride may just come before the fall.

I don't ever get that attitude from the SWA guys or the FedEx guys or the UPS guys. Simple as that... So I just call BS when I see and hear it.....

I will however be more mindful of my tone and try to be more positive in the future. Thanks for pointing it out...

Its all about perception.
I don't get that vibe. But to each their very own.

Last edited:
Having grown up in SEA, I can attest to the constant inclement weather. Having flown extensively throughout the state of Alaska in the late 70's to the mid 80's, I can honestly say that there are very few places that are as challenging. I think that Alaska wants to make absolutely sure that they're getting pilots that really don't want to be anywhere else or fly anywhere else. There is nothing wrong with that! Why pay for training and then have somebody skip to SWA when and if their number comes up? I personally don't thinks that makes them a cut above the rest, nor do I sense that in the posts of the AK guys. If anything , it makes good business sense. Having been at U for 19 years, I only wish that I would have had this type of vision earlier. U has been OK, but as someone posted earlier, " location, location, location". You're just naturally going to be happier if you're living where you want and doing the kind of flying that you want. Now, how do I get an interview in my old age (49)?
mach none said:
Dogg:

I did not think I was uppity. I appologize if I have been.

I like where I am and enjoy the people I fly with. As do all here. The "attitude" you allude to most likely comes from the HR moffia and their matrix for getting an interview and a job.

All airlines have problems. Including SWA and JB. Each group has their own personality too. Withing that group, the personalities change between bases as well.

I encourage you to pursue your goals and the airline that best suits you.

Rhino said:
Four, on the 31st.

This info is from a reliable source!

My phone hasn't rang yet...

That is barely a week away, if it is true what the eck are they waiting for to call these people for class? And if they will all be on the 737 would that be in ANC on the 200.

ACAFool said:
That is barely a week away, if it is true what the eck are they waiting for to call these people for class? And if they will all be on the 737 would that be in ANC on the 200.

I'm pretty sure they have called those scheduled for class on the 31st, although I could be wrong about that. Stranger things have happened. But this class has been "scheduled" for some time now, and I don't think they would still be waiting to fill it.

Not sure about which model 737 and base, but the last 737 new hires went to ANC on the -200. I could find out Monday for sure and post it unless someone else has the info and posts it before then.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back