Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
av8instyle said:
Good on ya!
How long were you here and where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

I was with AK three years, LA-MD, bumped to SEA-737, then back to LA-737, now wrapping up year one at FX. I had an app continuously on file with FX because my wife is from Europe and we wanted the ability to live there. It just took a while to get a foot in the door at FX, though May 2005 helped my motivation considerably.

Miss the people in the trenches, though. Regardless of trying to make "the right 20 year decision," there is nothing fun about leaving one great pilot group for another great pilot group.

Beat Bama.

your perspective of FDX

Hey SpoolDaddy,
How about sharing your perspective of FedEx as a former Alaska dude. Would you recommend the move to FDX (if one can get hired) to current Alaska pilots?
I too enjoy the flying here at Alaska and the people I work with, but the continuous a$$ beatings and pilot harrassment are getting old. I realize that this exists everywhere, but atleast at FedEx, pay and work rules are good enough in exchange.
Alaksa is a strong company with over a $billion in the bank, but I really doubt that Ayer and the boys are trully looking at long term existence of this company, otherwise they wouldn't treat their employees so $hitty.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Ih8AFYesmen vbmenu_register("postmenu_1077317", true); ,

Great questions, but no way do I have the answers, and not just because "I'll let you know in 25 years." (Though that is a true statement as we all know. ) Both great groups of pilots, both good and bad flying, both aggressively negotiating contracts (or about to start). It is tough to say. I did little more than come up with the standard list of goods and others for both companies and pulled the trigger on what I hope, and so far has been, a great fit for me and my family. Lucky timing with a bid will have me back in LA with less than two years on the property in the MD-11, and I'm pretty stoked on that. The flip side is that it blows to leave a familiar environment full of some fantastic people, lifelong friends, and just toss some years of seniority to the wind. It stung a bit.

The clincher for me was the same reason I never let my application with FX expire. I have a Swedish wife and my family is from Bean Town (go Sox, Yankees suck). FX gives me the flexibility to live where I want, even if that is more than one place at a time. AK did not offer that type of flexibility.

Sorry for the cliche answer, but as you and everyone else already knows, it just depends on where you and your family are at and what is important to you.

Best of luck, SD

Latest resources

Back