• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8instyle

Above Average Member
Alaska Air Group reports record second quarter profit

Revenue gains, effective cost management push earnings higher

July 25, 2006

Alaska Air Group today reported second quarter net income of $55.5 million, compared to $17.4 million in the second quarter of 2005.

The 2006 results include a restructuring charge of $3.8 million resulting from an offer of voluntary severance to Alaska’s flight attendants as part of the recently ratified contract.

Both periods include mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting gains and losses, and the second quarter of 2005 includes restructuring charges that also impact the comparability of the periods.

Excluding the impact of the items noted above, the company would have reported net income in the second quarter of 2006 of $60.3 million, compared to $24.7 million in the second quarter of 2005.

“We are extremely pleased with this quarter’s earnings, which were the result of a combination of revenue gains and cost improvements,” said CEO Bill Ayer. “It’s gratifying to see everyone’s hard work pay off, and I would like to thank and congratulate our employees on an outstanding quarter.”

Alaska Airlines’ passenger traffic in the second quarter increased 7.2 percent on a capacity increase of 5.2 percent. The airline’s load factor increased 1.4 percentage points to 79.3 percent, compared to the same period in 2005. Alaska’s operating revenue per available seat mile (ASM) increased 9.5 percent, while its operating cost per ASM excluding fuel and restructuring charges and adjustments decreased 2.1 percent.

Alaska’s pretax income for the quarter was $72.5 million, compared to $22.1 million in 2005.

Excluding the items noted above, Alaska would have reported pretax income of $79.6 million for the quarter, compared to $34.2 million in the second quarter of 2005.

Horizon Air’s passenger traffic in the second quarter increased 11.3 percent on a 6.1 percent capacity increase.

Horizon’s load factor increased by 3.6 percentage points to 76.6 percent, compared to the same period in 2005.

The airline’s operating revenue per ASM increased 9 percent, and its operating cost per ASM excluding fuel increased 9.8 percent.

Horizon’s pretax income for the quarter was $9.7 million, compared to $11.1 million in 2005. Excluding the mark-to-market fuel hedge adjustments, Horizon’s pretax income would have been $10.2 million for the quarter, compared to $10.7 million in the second quarter of 2005.

Alaska Air Group had cash and short-term investments at June 30 of approximately $1.1 billion compared to $983 million at Dec. 31, 2005.

The company’s debt-to-capital ratio, assuming aircraft operating leases are capitalized at seven times annualized rent, was 69 percent as of June 30, compared to 73 percent as of Dec. 31, 2005.

The decrease from Dec. 31, 2005, is primarily due to the conversion to equity of the company’s senior convertible notes in April 2006, partially offset by the $23.6 million net loss for the six months, coupled with an increase in the company’s outstanding debt resulting from new aircraft-secured debt arrangements in the first six months of 2006.

Revenue gains, effective cost management push earnings higher

Huh? Taking advantage of binding arbitration to take your pilot group to the cleaners, and pissing them all off in the process, is effective cost management? Maybe in some myopic MBA world, but them chickens will be coming home to roost.

“We are extremely pleased with this quarter’s earnings, which were the result of a combination of revenue gains and dicking over our Alaska Airlines pilots,” said CEO Bill Ayer. “It’s gratifying to see every one of our pilots working just as hard for less pay, and I would like to thank and congratulate our pilots and former SEA ramp agents on taking one for the stockholders.”

There, I fixed Bill's quote up a little. That's more like it.

ReverseSensing said:
Huh? Taking advantage of binding arbitration to take your pilot group to the cleaners, and pissing them all off in the process, is effective cost management? Maybe in some myopic MBA world, but them chickens will be coming home to roost.
SHACK!

Maybe with this we can begin educating these captains at Alaska who have never known anything but arbitration. I am still hearing from guys that "I would take an across the board 12% pay raise, we will never get our old pay back". Maybe now they will see that the company can afford pre-kasher pay but will only agree to it when we force them to. Luckily with every passing retirement we get a little stronger (except for a few). The worst thing that could happen to affect the strength of our union is age 65.

alaskaplt, I know what you'r saying about the captains and their " We will never get back to pre Kasher " BS. I believe we will get back to pre Kasher levels and then some. Pre Kasher was not quite adjusted to cover inflation. The 900 arbitration and 11% pay raise was close but not quite from the levels set with contract 97. If we get back to even money from Kasher without any increase, that is still a pay cut.

The theme here is not about taking all you can from the company. Alaska management has shown us that they don't give a rats #$s about us, our families, or our future. Constant grievances, contract violations and lies put out by Forest, Finan, Sorenson etc...have done nothing to help them, but alot to bring us together. People think that it is just a few malcontents that post crap on this board, but I am just a regular line guy. I assure those that think there are just a few angry pilots are very mistaken. There are 1400+ of us.

Alaska Ayerlines being my first airlines (hopefully last), I didn't know too much about the union. After spending a few years here, I understand why a large portion of the pilot group is so militant. I am all for unity and unity is what's going to make or break our future. Having said this, those few pu$$y captains (I say captains, 'cause I personally haven't met a happy FO since last May) who would be happy with a 12% pay raise need to retire or just follow the leader. They are probably the same ones who fly here as a hobby (ie. ice cream parlor owners, successful business owners, etc.) or the ones who bitch about having to sell a toy because of the Kashertration while many of the FOs lost the basic necessities (ie. homes, cars, marriage, etc.). After calculating the cost of living increases at 3.5% per year times two years, these dumbasses would be happy with a 5% pay raise????!!!!????!!!! WTFO???

Reading and wishing my former AK Bros all the best. I left a year ago and am still disgusted with the way Mayday went down, rampers, etc. Ayer and his kind will be long gone (to the BOD for Bill, sadly but probably) before the next contract is settled, but the stunts they pulled still leave a warm place in my heart for vigilante justice.

Take care of each other and those new hire FA's in LA (wow, always look on the bright side of life, ....)

SpoolDaddy said:
Reading and wishing my former AK Bros all the best. I left a year ago and am still disgusted with the way Mayday went down, rampers, etc. Ayer and his kind will be long gone (to the BOD for Bill, sadly but probably) before the next contract is settled, but the stunts they pulled still leave a warm place in my heart for vigilante justice.

Take care of each other and those new hire FA's in LA (wow, always look on the bright side of life, ....)
Good on ya!
How long were you here and where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

Latest resources

Back