• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Poolies called??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I hear, there is plenty of blame to go around for the "summer of '05". I guess it's convenient to point the finger at "management" but from what I hear from those on the front lines, the fingers could be pointed in any direction (including inward) and find someone at least partly responsible for the meltdown.

I also agree that a completely fresh start with new ideas and a new model is the only way to stop the snowball, if it can be stopped at all.

Good luck to anyone and everyone.

ILStoMinimums said:
What fleet type do you think would fit for long haul? 757's?

787 and expand to china for example. Atleast apply for some slots and if we don't need or use them, sell.

We had an "all hands" meeting today in the training dept led by the Managing Director of Flight Standards and the Director of Training. I took notes to try and keep up with the important parts and gather some information. I will type it up into a document and hold on to it in case anyone wants a copy. It's really too much to post here, but I will get all the info down in some format.

The short version about growth is that it will be pretty flat for 2006, with most of the new bid (that will be out Friday) shuffling positions and increasing the ANC and LAX bases. No real gain in total aircraft, but some increase in ASMs. The bid that will come this time next year will be, according to the Managing Director, "the largest ever at Alaska Airlines". By the end of '06 we will be taking delivery of 3 airframes per month into early 2007, with growth for 2007 to be at least 6%. There are too many operational challenges ahead for the short term that need to be sorted out first, so they are not looking for any real growth (as far as number of aircraft) in 2006. However, training is spooling up (4 crews per month in the MD and 8 in the 737 starting in Oct.) and will max out late in the year and into 2007 (6 crews a month on the MD and 12 on the 737). They are looking into somehow getting another 737 sim, either buying, leasing or finding significant time on one somewhere. He made it sound like acquiring another 737 sim is very likely and it will be operational by mid 2007.

At any rate, I will get all this and the rest of it together in one place so that it makes some sense and if anyone wants the info, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

mach none said:
Great, another side bid. Back to reserve.

Maybe not. BG was speculating that many of the senior FOs who have not bid Captain to hang on to their QOL may now feel the need to do so to try and recoup their lost pay. He seems to think that there will be at least some upgrades amid the shuffling.

"We had an "all hands" meeting today in the training dept led by the Managing Director of Flight Standards and the Director of Training."

With any luck those two will no longer be in their respective positions and we can stop creating the most expensive 737 pilots on the planet......it must have been a sea of khakis, loafers and plaid shirts up on floor 2....I wonder what concessions they will ask for in trade for next years "big bid".... I dont think that we have any business growing at all until we get past our "contract situation" and that is a solid 4 years away....Someone needs to tell the monkeys that the objective is not to have the most people at work to get the job done it is to have the least.......It still has the potential to be a great part time job, but to make a career out of it or call it a profession is a Joke.. plain and simple

Actually, it was at Azteca and not on "floor 2". But I'm sure they will welcome your plan. I recommend you stop by with it as soon as you can so we can get this ship headed in the right direction.;)

tico said:
"We had an "all hands" meeting today in the training dept led by the Managing Director of Flight Standards and the Director of Training."

With any luck those two will no longer be in their respective positions and we can stop creating the most expensive 737 pilots on the planet......it must have been a sea of khakis, loafers and plaid shirts up on floor 2....I wonder what concessions they will ask for in trade for next years "big bid".... I dont think that we have any business growing at all until we get past our "contract situation" and that is a solid 4 years away....Someone needs to tell the monkeys that the objective is not to have the most people at work to get the job done it is to have the least.......It still has the potential to be a great part time job, but to make a career out of it or call it a profession is a Joke.. plain and simple

Tico,
If indeed you work at Alaska, we are always looking for committee volunteers at ALPA. You seem to have lots of ideas, we will welcome your influence.

Latest resources

Back