Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Old School 737

NG's now and it is A OK!!
I got the call last Wednessday and was told a Dec 12 class! I am pumped as this has been my dream job for the longest time. I was wondering if anybody knows what the breakdown of equipment/ bases might be. Also, is housing provided during training? When does the health care start? Thanks for the help and any other info a new hire could use is welcome. I can't wait to start!

I'm not sure of the exact breakdown (I can find out though), but I'm reasonably sure the Dec class will be limited to 737 LAX and ANC. (And probably only the 4/7/9 in ANC.) I know that the MD SEA positions would all have been filled by the current class and the one starting next month.

I believe the health care starts on the first day of the first full month of employment, so in the case of a Dec 12th start date, that would be Feb 1. However, if my understanding of this is not right, someone will correct me, I'm sure.;)

Someone else can answer the housing question as I have no idea on that one.

Welcome aboard old school,
Currently bases are staffed as follows:
SEA 737 719 pilots
SEA MD 314 pilots
LAX 737 198 pilots
ANC 737-200 90 pilots
ANC 737 52 pilots
Housing is up to you find and pay for during training. From the first day of class to last day of IOE can be close to 3 months.
You are eligible for medical coverage after a full month with the company.
Other info, save money because initial pay sucks!
good luck

Another question. I hear lots of people complain about flying for Swa because of the same aircraft and no international routes. What the difference between that Alaska? I know you have the MD and fly to Mexico and Canada. And nothing wrong with either airline.

Last edited:
CAVEAT..

I don't fly for AS but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night and I want very much to fly for AS... but as far as replying to the question of mundane flying at AS...

AS flies into some of the most challenging locales on the North American continent. Very challenging and interesting flying IMVHO. And I'm not really talking about Mexico.

In case you cared:0 ...They actually were the first airline to certify the 727 for gravel strips, DC-3s for skids. and the first airline to land an aircraft in CAT III conditions using the HUD. I could go on...Does that sound routine boring and mundane? For more info..Check out the online almanac at the website.

Last edited:
Paul R. Smith said:
They actually were the first airline to certify the 727 for gravel strips, DC-3s for skids. and the first airline to land an aircraft in CAT III conditions using the HUD. I could go on...Does that sound routine boring and mundane? For more info..Check out the online almanac at the website.

I thought they were the first airline to certify the 737 for gravel strips? They used to fly the 727? I had no idea. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

English said:
I thought they were the first airline to certify the 737 for gravel strips? They used to fly the 727? I had no idea. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?&aircraft_genericsearch=Boeing%20727%25&airlinesearch=Alaska%20Airlines%7********************itled%20%28Alaska%20Airlines%29&maxres=500&nr_of_rows=78&first_this_page=0&page_limit=15&sort_order=photo_id+DESC&nr_pages=6&engine_version=6.0

It wasn't always about the 73.;)

Old School

In a couple of weeks, you will get an email with what slots are available for your class. Everyone else is right on with health care start time. You get to fund your own stay, if you aren't from SEA start looking for a crash pad. I found one on this website under the crashpad forum(I would get you into mine, but they only want 1 guy in training at a time). Worst case the Quality is right next to the training dept. and its 43 a night after taxes. i think flex is right on with what will be available with your class. Don't forget that you bid on the first day by your age.

i'm in the 14th of november class, I'll try to let you know what we bid and ages times and stuff.

Latest resources

Back