Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska guys: Tell me about flying the 737-200.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mach none said:
Don't be an enabler!

Repeat after me, I (state your name) have a problem. I am an enabler. I last enabled (#of hours, or days)...(applause). I am here because I need help (applause).

Who are you saying people are enabling? It doesn't sound like the people on this board are enabling the company.

On this board, people are not. Listen to ops and you know. People calling for lav service, bag tags, calling for the fuel truck. You get the idea. Are you an enabler. Every time you key this mike to ops, ask yourself..Is this someone else's job?

This is a safety issue. Are you concentrating on your job if you are calling for the agent to bring gate claim tags? NO. Do your job and stop enabling the pi$$ poor middle management at this company. It will hurt in the short term, but in the long run, we will be better off.

Last edited:
The -200 rocks your sox off! I miss the heck out of it...As long as you didn't go to Riddle you'll be fine...Flying in Alaska is flying at its best, and flying for Alaska in Alaska is the best place to be in this company...There is no management around, just you and the plane!

By the way I haven't seen my hat in 382 days...Yes, I'm still looking for it...But I'm proud of my streak!

Oh, I found it! It was in the aft biffy in one of the 900's! One of the ramp thugs was wearing it because it's "bling"

I had to sell my hat bling after Gasher. Come to think about it, Xmas is approaching, I guess I will sell some blood so I can afford presents for the kids.

Is the only way to fly the 200 is to be based in ANC? And how long are people going to be on reserve?

Mach none,

Got a question about your stance on "Enabling". I thought the same as you until I got to thinking (I know my first mistake)... why not return to pre Kastrator level of involvement? Do all that we can do to mask the inefficiencies of mismanagement, make everything as smooth as possible. Then when the time comes, say 2-3-4 years from now, fly the contract and only the contract.

Granted, it would take a majority involvement and that in itself might make it futile in the long run anyway.

Smooth sailing

LilCap,
I would even add this thought. Kastration is here to stay. -29% club for me, and next year I've got to bump my 401K contributions up to 19% to hit the IRS limit of 15K. I lived on mac and cheese for a lot of years before I got this job, I enjoyed steak for a couple of years, now its back to mac and cheese - or I could sell my house. Point is - I NEED to upgrade. We will not be getting a bunch of $$$ back in 18 months through negotiations. The only way for me to have a comfortable life again is to upgrade. That will only happen (sooner rather than later) if we are growing and profitable. Yes I took one for the team along with 1500 other Alaska pilots, but burning down the house will not get me anything - it will only prolong the mac and cheese. This is not to say that I always agree with our management, or that I like some of the things they did and continue to do - but this is the aviation world that we live in. With the whole industry in the tank we are in far better shape than most, so I'm not going to bite the hand that feeds me, even if it is mac and cheese. I'm going to do everything in my power to enable my airline to grow and be profitable, so I can upgrade and get as much of the pie as I can. If someone is ticked off and wants to burn the house down, what is going to get you in the end? Nothing - no upgrade, no $$$, and maybe no job should our airline fail. Whats the point of that? I still wear my hat, I still polish the cowboy boots, I still do the job the same way I always did. I am blessed to work out of the ANC 200 base where every Captain I fly with feels the same.

To answer psysicx - yes and years.

AK737FO

AK737FO, I'm in agreement with you...I learned the Motto "Be Prepared" when I was in Boy Scouts and I've applied it to my career. We where making money for awhile and though its less now we are still getting paid for doing something most of us used to pay to do. Throughout my career there have been ups and downs but as I approach the end of it, I look and see how damn lucky I really am. Sure I've just taken a large paycut but I've never been furloughed, never been out on the street looking for a new airline. I've been super lucky. I've invested wisely for the most part and have lived within my means. I just think of the other paths I may have taken, Pan Am, Eastern, Delta, NWA, United... Oh well, I've been lucky but not wearing my hat is a little protest to support the next generation of guys who might not be as lucky as I was.

Latest resources

Back