• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska ETOPS...problems?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can't beat the -700 as far as performance is concerned. We're talking 5700 feet of runway out of SNA to HNL, full house - 12/112... all day long!

I'm really curious how an -800 will work out for us. We're "testing" it on OGG-SMF run. I guess we'll find out next month.

Last edited:
Having flown the ANC to HNL route quite a few times, I can tell you from experience that it get somes hellacious winds relative to the lower 48 to Hawaii. It's a different beast. I've seen 6 hrs at Mach .80 fairly often. AQ's 700 failed misarably on the route, but they work OK West Coast to Hawaii. I assumed AS knew what they were doing, after reading this thread I'm wondering.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:...Oy! I've pissed meself!

LOL, OK point taken.
I'm thinking that trying to fly a 800 from ANC to HNL will be an unmitigated disaster. It's nothing like lower 48 to Hawaii. Much more weather in the winter that requires extra fuel for headwinds, more weather deviations and turbulence.

You have to remember, This IS Alaska Airlines and we just keep reinventing the wheel everytime. In fact, we are celebrating 75 years of first day operations.

Again!?! I told you to stop drinking so many beers when I'm not around:beer:

I refuse to believe it's the beer. I'm thinking enlarged prostate. Even your jokes would probably make me squirt a little anymore.

Good to go

FAA grants Alaska Airlines
ETOPS authority for Hawaii flights

October 10, 2007

By Don Conrard

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has approved Alaska Airlines’ application for Extended Operations, capping 23 months of intense effort by employees throughout the company.

ETOPS authority clears the way for the airline to begin service to Hawaii on Friday with daily flights between Seattle and Honolulu. Nonstop service to Lihue on the island of Kauai will begin Oct 28, followed by Anchorage-Honolulu service Dec. 9.

“There were a lot of smiles around here when the FAA called to give us the good news,” said Mike Thynes who led the certification effort as ETOPS senior project manager. “Gaining ETOPS authority is a huge achievement that could not have been accomplished without the enthusiastic support of hundreds of employees around the company. Thanks to everyone involved, we now have an exciting, new destination for nonrevs to visit and a great growth opportunity for Alaska Airlines.”

Documents granting the carrier ETOPS authority were signed yesterday afternoon at the FAA’s Certificate Management Office in Seattle. Vince Hasson, director of quality control and chief inspector, and Jim Winkelman, director of regulatory compliance, signed on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Jim Dodge, the FAA’s principal maintenance inspector, signed on behalf of the agency.

Looks like AS pulled off another ready-fire-aim :rolleyes:

"We have ETOPS! And we're going to Hawaii! That means we're finally a REAL airline...like ATA!!!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back