mach none

wishin I was on a boat
Newark, Miami to become Alaska cities late this fall
Posted August 21, 2002

In another move fortifying its strength in Seattle, Alaska Airlines will launch
nonstop service late this fall from the Emerald City to New York/Newark
and Miami.
Next Generation 737-700s, seating 120, will be used on both routes. Alaska
will operate one nonstop roundtrip daily in each market. Service to Newark will begin October 28 followed by Miami on November 21.

The new destinations will become the seventh and eighth outside Alaska's traditional West Coast route system, and are part of Alaska's ongoing "Seattle Strategy."

"We're the dominant carrier up and down the West Coast and Seattle is the centerpiece of that dominance," said Bill Ayer, CEO and president. "Our Seattle Strategy is to fortify our biggest hub by extending our reach to other markets where our loyal base of customers want to fly. Connecting Seattle to other large markets is a natural evolution given the critical mass we've attained up and down the West Coast."

Ayer said the new flying will be accomplished by shifting a small amount of capacity from West Coast markets -- where traffic and fare levels have been depressed since 9/11 — and putting those aircraft into the new cities.

"This is exactly how we started our service to Boston and Denver back in April: By shifting capacity. And the results in those instances have been better than expected because we're carrying the same number of people on fewer flights in markets where we drew down frequencies, while the new routes are generating higher load factors and better yields than our systemwide average."

Gregg Saretsky, executive vice president of marketing and planning, said, "New York/Newark is very attractive to us since it is the single-largest market out of Seattle in terms of revenue, and a key business market. Miami, meanwhile, is at the heart of the cruise business in South Florida, which plays to the strength of our close relationship with the cruise industry. Beyond that, Miami is much less seasonal than other markets in our network and is a hub for customers to the Caribbean, and Central and South America."

NOTABLE NOTES:

Fares and schedules will be loaded into reservations systems Thursday morning.
Alaska will be the only carrier operating on a nonstop basis between Seattle and Miami.
Continental is the only carrier currently flying nonstop between Seattle and Newark International. They operate
four roundtrips daily.
Alaska codeshare partners Continental and American operate major hubs in Newark and Miami, respectively.
THE SCHEDULES:

Alaska's eastbound flight to New York/Newark (Flight 8) will depart Seattle at 8:45 a.m. and arrive at Newark International at 5:01 p.m. The westbound return (Flight 7) will depart Newark at 6 pm and arrive in Seattle at 9:10 p.m.
The eastbound flight to Miami (Flight 16) will depart Seattle at 8:40 a.m. and arrive at Miami at 5:10 p.m. The westbound flight (Flight 17) will leave Miami at 6 p.m. and arrive at 9:30 p.m.

?????

Im not sure i would agree with his statment that they are the dominant west coast airline..
I wonder if he has heard of that new little upstart of an airline called Southwest?

MLBWINGBORN

????? yourself

Im not sure i would agree with his statment that they are the dominant west coast airline..
http://www2.alaskaair.com/destinations/Routemap.asp

Maybe you ought to check out this little route map, then go to the Southwest web site and look at their cities. Then you may want to re-evaluate your statement. I would say, without a doubt that Alaska is indeed the dominant west coast carrier. And that would be based on fact.

By the way...

I think Alaska has just about as many coastline destinations in the state of Alaska as Southwest has SYSTEM WIDE coastline destinations. And I know that Alaska has just a few more Mexican coastline destinations. This is not including California, Oregon, and Washington, which Alaska dominates.
Just a few thoughts.

IF you count all of the cities that Horizon serves then you have a point..
But then again, if you count all the cities that Horizon serves,according to your little map, they are the dominant carrier in the west..Not Alaska..The only thing Alaska has a firm grip on is ..Well..Alaska...

Thats sorta like Delta saying that they are the number one domestic carrier..They are if you count all of the Express carriers and whom ever else they have code sharing agreements with..

I stand by my statment that SWA is the number one west coast main line major carrier..With more flights daily than anybody..

MLBWINGBORN

The map you are considering to be the basis for your statment has an awful lot of brown in it..I think that color refers to a city served by Horizon Airlines..Not Alaska

I find it to be really tacky that an airline will make a statment that they have so many of this or so many of that in the way of flights only to find out that they are including their express carriers flight schedules in their maps and total flights..

If you want to compare "maps"You will see no colors in our route system other than Canyon Blue and and no other aircraft other than 737s..

If you take away Alaska and Mexico..Take away the Horizon cities..I think you will see my point..

Alaska doesnt even come close to being a dominant west coast carrier..Unless of course you want to count Alaska..Are they even still in the Union?

MLBWINGBORN

I counted destinations and Alaska serves 39 on the west coast of North America. Take away the Mexican destinations and that drops to 34. That does not include the Horizon flights.

Southwest serves 19. That is all I could find via your website. I included El Paso in that count too, but not Omaha.

Stand by this...

Here's Southwest US MAINLAND West Coast cities:
Seattle
Portland
Oakland
San Jose
LAX
San Diego
Ontario
Total = 7

Here's Alaska's, not Horizon's, West coast MAINLAND cities:
Seattle
Portland
Oakland
San Francisco
San Jose
LAX
Burbank
Orange County
Ontario
San Diego
Total = 10

Let's add Canada's west coast
Vancouver

Let's add Mexico's west coast
Los Cabos
Mazatlan
Puerto Vallarta
Manzanillo
Ixtapa

Let's add the state that you insulted, Alaska
Kotzebue
Nome
Bethel
Dillingham
Dutch Harbor
King Salmon
Anchorage
Kodiak
Cordova
Yakutat
Glacier Bay
Juneau
Sitka
Petersburg
Wrangell
Ketchikan

By the way, all of the above mentioned cities are served by Alaska Airlines. Some of them are ALSO served by Horizon. Not only does Alaska have more WEST COAST mainland destinations than LUV, but also another 22 west coast destinations that LUV hasn't even touched.

So, let me do the math for you since you seem to be having a hard time with it.
West coast cities served by Alaska (not including Horizon) = somewhere in the 30's
West coast cities served by Southwest = 7

Things that make you go hmmm.

just for you...

Alaska doesnt even come close to being a dominant west coast carrier..Unless of course you want to count Alaska..Are they even still in the Union?
I just thought I'd throw in one more little stat.
This is the tally of Pacific time zone cities served:

Southwest - 13
Alaska (not including Horizon once again) - 38

But you still aren't convinced are you?

Southwest is a great airline, but facts are facts, Alaska IS the dominant west coast carrier. You gotta stop drinking the pink cool aid.

Latest resources

Back