Alaska continues the pressure on Virgin America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gee....

Instead of begging for public support (which will never happen because we all know how the public feels about the airline industry) it'd be nice if Alaska mgmt decided to stop giving away market share with every uncontrollable burp in the marketplace. How about deciding to directly compete with Virgin? Furloughing pilots when you have the chief pilot putting out memos begging you to work on weekends isn't the best way to compete with a direct competitor. If management kept all the pilots (and everyone else for that matter) online like they did after 9/11 we all would've bent over backward to give Virgin the shaft and send them packing out of our markets. Now, I'll never bend over backward for this airline and I think I can safely speak for my other 59 colleagues.

I just flew first class on United to Alaska and then back home again on Alaska and Continental. Yes, I paid full fare for the tickets. You're welcome. Of the three, Alaska stood out above the other two. Friendly flight attendants and great food. Cu-dos. You got a great airline there.

Gee....

Instead of begging for public support (which will never happen because we all know how the public feels about the airline industry) it'd be nice if Alaska mgmt decided to stop giving away market share with every uncontrollable burp in the marketplace. How about deciding to directly compete with Virgin? Furloughing pilots when you have the chief pilot putting out memos begging you to work on weekends isn't the best way to compete with a direct competitor. If management kept all the pilots (and everyone else for that matter) online like they did after 9/11 we all would've bent over backward to give Virgin the shaft and send them packing out of our markets. Now, I'll never bend over backward for this airline and I think I can safely speak for my other 59 colleagues.

What do you suggest management does to compete with VX? I'm not trying to be fecicious. I really do want to know what ideas people have. I realize it was a big mistake to staff the airline the way they do, and I completely agree that we shouldn't have furloughed.

I disagree that Alaska isn't competing. We already have 10+ flights/day on SEA-LAX compared to their 3 (reduced from 4 already), plus the option to fly from SEA to LAX, SNA, LGB, BUR or ONT (you can even standby the same day for any of the 5 socal airports). We match their prices and scheduled our flights to depart either on the hour or half hour. We improved our first class meals and snacks from bad to not as bad. Oh, and we also add revenue to our flights by codesharing with AA, DL, OZ, QF, KE, LA...am I forgetting anyone else?

P.S.

I'm totally POed that VX continues to operate with shady ownership. I also wonder how long a company can operate with a -30%+ profit margin.

What do you suggest management does to compete with VX? I'm not trying to be fecicious. I really do want to know what ideas people have. I realize it was a big mistake to staff the airline the way they do, and I completely agree that we shouldn't have furloughed.

I disagree that Alaska isn't competing. We already have 10+ flights/day on SEA-LAX compared to their 3 (reduced from 4 already), plus the option to fly from SEA to LAX, SNA, LGB, BUR or ONT (you can even standby the same day for any of the 5 socal airports). We match their prices and scheduled our flights to depart either on the hour or half hour. We improved our first class meals and snacks from bad to not as bad. Oh, and we also add revenue to our flights by codesharing with AA, DL, OZ, QF, KE, LA...am I forgetting anyone else?

P.S.

I'm totally POed that VX continues to operate with shady ownership. I also wonder how long a company can operate with a -30%+ profit margin.

as long as branson wants to throw his money at it

Latest resources

Back