• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska and Delta: Frenemies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hate to say it, but the SWA/AK rumors are heating up- but no announcement possible til 2015- and coincident with huge growth announcement to take the edge off
Apparently mgmt learned from AT that stagnation and acquisitions are bad enough for morale that it affects the bottom line-
They knew there'd be some discontent- now they know how much-
Primed for growth and new destinations- the idea is to have so many new hires and movement, employees will be 'excited' about the move- they'll link growth to the merger to do this....
Then again I'm a pilot, and I might be starting sh/t to see what happens-
I think all the CEO's are constantly playing poker - BT, DP, RA, and GK seem to still be playing this particular alaska hand

Just a pilot too Wave, but I really don't think any Management team in the airline industry is stupid enough to grow huge, merge, or do anything that takes huge capital expenditures in order to make pilots happy. Much cheaper to give massive raise, get everyone drinking the koolaid, then run for bankruptcy court with their hands above their head....sound familiar?

Many people thought AA/US was a sure thing as well.

I still believe a lot of that conflict was created from within (someone in AA like Horton pissed about not getting his way)

I still believe a lot of that conflict was created from within (someone in AA like Horton pissed about not getting his way)

I think there was conflict created by the speed at which us management was starting to run aa from the outside days after the merger announcement. However, I think the theory that horton has been manipulating things from the shadows to derail this is far fetched. Baer wants to show everyone there is a "new sheriff in town" and it's sad that it's at the expense of this merger. I kind of wonder how this had gone down had the merger been announced and finished prior to his confirmation.

I can't imagine anyone but maybe a few SWA pilots thinking a AK/SWA is a good idea or even remotely realistic. Probably a good analogy would be when USAir and Piedmont merged. They were both very financially strong companies and Piedmont probably had better employees/management relations than even SWA does now. Both operations seemed similar enough on the surface, but when they merged they started a very downward trend that the airline never recovered from. AK and SWA would fit together like oil and water. It could easily be the beginning of the end for them.
That's not a slam against either, they are just two totally opposite business models. Also, would the SWA folks really want to deal with a merger with an airline that would not have to give them any flying or seats? If "Gary" threatened them the way he threatened the AT folks (operate separately) why would the AK folks care?

Just a pilot too Wave, but I really don't think any Management team in the airline industry is stupid enough to grow huge, merge, or do anything that takes huge capital expenditures in order to make pilots happy. Much cheaper to give massive raise, get everyone drinking the koolaid, then run for bankruptcy court with their hands above their head....sound familiar?

In this case it's planned growth they've been prepping for for a long time.
And as much as it does seem like swa's mgmt team is getting like everyone else- they do believe the culture has a positive monetary impact and are smart enough to get something big out of the big growth that is planned.

Make no mistake- the AT purchase has cost SWA money over morale.

And here's me just flying the jet... Tea leaves though

I've been a passenger on both Delta and Alaska...no comparison...Alaska blows them away. If Delta decides to divorce Alaska...Alaska will just get in bed with someone else and in the end be just fine. See you later Delta, dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

I've been a passenger on both Delta and Alaska...no comparison...Alaska blows them away. If Delta decides to divorce Alaska...Alaska will just get in bed with someone else and in the end be just fine. See you later Delta, dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

I've spent a lot of time in back on both. Thanks, Delta (NWA) for getting me there, but AS wins domestic.

Latest resources

Back