Alaska Airlines hiring 100

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mach none said:
Its called 750 PIC turbine. HR and flt oops won't budge on that min.

Ok. And there are plenty of Horizon guys, myself included who have that, have an application in and continue to hear nothing. Dedication to the Air Group apparently means nothing! Not that I am stunned by that revalation.

QCappy said:
Ok. And there are plenty of Horizon guys, myself included who have that, have an application in and continue to hear nothing. Dedication to the Air Group apparently means nothing! Not that I am stunned by that revalation.

He is ABSOLUTELY correct. If you want a a pool of high time pilots, you need not look any further tha Horizon.

Being devil's advocate for a moment, do you think the "Air Group" would be interested in hiring 10+ Horizon guys in every class at Alaska just to have to train their replacements at Horizon?

When I first came here, I heard that there was an "agreement" to hire 2 Horizon guys per class. I have also heard that the Teamsters have been pushing for a "bid up" deal where current Horizon pilots could "bid" for any unfilled position on Alaska's system bids. While the current "agreement" could probably use some tweaking, I don't see the "bid up" thing happening either. Somewhere in betweek there is probably a workable solution. But regardless of what it is, IMO there will be more guys wanting positions than there are positions that Alaska is wanting to give. That seems to be the case everywhere.

Just the view from where I sit in the nose-bleed section...:cartman:

QCappy said:
OK. And there are plenty of Horizon guys, myself included who have that, have an application in and continue to hear nothing. Dedication to the Air Group apparently means nothing! Not that I am stunned by that revaluation.

Flx757 is correct.

QCappy:

Do you have a silver bullet? What other time do you have? College degree? Do you look funny? I don't know why the HR folks do the things they do other than they want to mitigate two training events for one individual.

As far as a bid up or whatever you call it. It should and would work both ways my friend. Except most of the Alaska pilots would lobby for something like AA has. So the reality is, it will never happen. Alaska wants to be able to cherry pick the Horizon guys and right now they can. We are one of the few to be hiring right now and very soon we will be one of the top paid carriers again. Now that is scary.

mach none said:
Flx757 is correct.

QCappy:

Do you have a silver bullet? What other time do you have? College degree? Do you look funny? I don't know why the HR folks do the things they do other than they want to mitigate two training events for one individual.

In the works. Other time as in? Yes. I hope not.

The whole point of the "bid through"--which was endorsed and worked on by Alaska ALPA as well, as a way to avoid taking the pay cuts you did--was to lower the overall seniority at Horizon, saving the Air group about $10 million a year in Horizon payroll, including the training costs.:eek: If it were implimented, the only ones that, in theory, would end up being furloughed in the future would be former Horizon guys that knew what they were getting in to.

I agree FLX, I don't think it will ever happen, either. To much politicing at HR and the Chief Pilots offices on both sides of highway 99.

QCappy said:
I agree FLX, I don't think it will ever happen, either. To much politicing at HR and the Chief Pilots offices on both sides of highway 99.

I think a lot of it boils down to control. Those who have it want to keep it and those who don't have it would like it. Everyone wants the "say" when it comes to who gets hired. But again, this certainly is not exclusive to this company. It seems to be the case everywhere you turn.

Jet time? Not that it matters because they like to hire people with various backgrounds. I wish you luck. I know the silver bullet will get you the interview, the silver bullet with the Horizon background puts your resume into a smaller stack yet. Does Horizon ultimately hurt you? I do not know. I know there has been years in the past when they would not hire anyone from Horizon because of training costs.

I now remember the "bid up" program that you are talking about. Interesting, but I am still not sure management ultimately wanted it. They like to be able to pick and choose who they can hire. Not be stuck with some disgruntled 20 year RJ captain. Maybe most of those guys have retired now?

flx757 said:
I think a lot of it boils down to control. Those who have it want to keep it and those who don't have it would like it. Everyone wants the "say" when it comes to who gets hired. But again, this certainly is not exclusive to this company. It seems to be the case everywhere you turn.

Agreed.

mach none said:
Jet time? Not that it matters because they like to hire people with various backgrounds. I wish you luck. I know the silver bullet will get you the interview, the silver bullet with the Horizon background puts your resume into a smaller stack yet. Does Horizon ultimately hurt you? I do not know. I know there has been years in the past when they would not hire anyone from Horizon because of training costs.

I now remember the "bid up" program that you are talking about. Interesting, but I am still not sure management ultimately wanted it. They like to be able to pick and choose who they can hire. Not be stuck with some disgruntled 20 year RJ captain. Maybe most of those guys have retired now?

No. No jet time, unfortunately. That's nice to hear about the silver bullet. I am just waiting to hear back from a guy who I used to fly with quite a bit at Horizon and he was checking into the whole process since he wasn't really aware how it all went. Also, I may have come across that I had my resume in for a long time on my earlier post. Mine hasn't been in very long, I was more referring to guys I know at Horizon who have had them in for a while and haven't heard anything. Obviously that's because there was no hiring going on, but hopefully the phones will start ringing at QX soon enough.

The other thing the "bid up" program assumed was that at least the top 100 or more "disgruntled 20 year RJ captains" and for that matter 20 year Q400 captains, would stay at Horizon. However, the seniority below them would dramatically drop, and as the old farts retire the savings would grow each year.

Last edited:
There was a time when AS wondered why so few Horizon pilots would apply. IMO, that day will come again. Everyone has his or her limits. Two per class? Please.

Latest resources

Back