Alaska Airlines Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

akfr8dog

Just wondering what other pilots takes are on the upcoming furlough/downgrades. Does anyone think they will really go through with it or just using it to try to bust the union?

Just wondering what other pilots takes are on the upcoming furlough/downgrades. Does anyone think they will really go through with it or just using it to try to bust the union?

I think they are going to go through with it. I don't know how well the summer is going to work out for them though. I don't think guys are going to be out that long though. This contract is worth $90 million a year to them so I think they are willing to spend/lose a few million to get their way.

I think they are going to go through with it. I don't know how well the summer is going to work out for them though. I don't think guys are going to be out that long though. This contract is worth $90 million a year to them so I think they are willing to spend/lose a few million to get their way.

Agreed. The NMB basically gave management until about May to get a descent proposal or we will be released. Expect the threat of CHAOS and an agreement at 11:59:59 before released. One of our Captains has started a donation plan that has pilots donate to take care of the 32 out now and any upcoming furloughs. This is a great sign of unity and hopefully it sends a message to management.

I just flew with two guys getting downgraded and both were optimistic it will be short lived. If you're out of the previous seat less than a year it is only a 2 hour sim and a line flight. Not much expense to the company to get guys retrained and up to speed. But I've learned not to use common sense or any type of sane logic when analyzing the decisions these people make. As far as I'm concerned they are all baked over at the lake.

I did read on the ALPA board where guys were having trouble in WA state. I don't know the amount but I do know some were getting denied completely. I think they got it worked out.

ALPA just gave Alaska 5 million from the contingency fund...I'd say both sides are taking a strike seriously.

Action!

ALPA just gave Alaska 5 million from the contingency fund...I'd say both sides are taking a strike seriously.

That's just Act III, Scene 5.

Somewhere along negotiations, a Strike Preparedness Committee is formed by every airline MEC, and when the MEC feels they have close to 100% they'll take a strike vote.

There's too many KoolAide Kids at Alaska right now, so no strike vote. I think the Union will have to say that we'll only do CHAOS before we'll get anything close to 100% on a strike vote.

Is it true the pilots are only getting a little over a $100 a week on unemployment.

That's true. $123 a week to be exact. Its due to the way Alaska reports wages to the state. Since pilots only work a maximum of 85 hours a month (and not 40 hours a week) we are not considered "full time" employees.

That's true. $123 a week to be exact. Its due to the way Alaska reports wages to the state. Since pilots only work a maximum of 85 hours a month (and not 40 hours a week) we are not considered "full time" employees.

What are people doing to get around this if anything?

Latest resources

Back