2013 47
2014 50
2015 55
2016 57
2017 59
2018 52
2019 59
2020 59
total of 1500 on seniority list, avg of about 50/year from 2020 till 2030 then about 15 per year.
Does not include early outs or the 65 crap!

Thanks lumax. Whats the number of the junior Capt. right now? How long till upgrade if one was hired sometime this year assuming those numbers without taking age 65 into account? Any current AS guys with answers would be appreciated.

What's the mindset over there right now? Is everybody pissed off and lots of F/O's are leaving?? What are negotiations looking like? Are there ANY growth plans whatsoever?

Trying to make a decision on whether to jump the fence. Thanks.

If I read the last bid award correctly the most junior captain (anc based) is about a 1050 seniority. There are approximately 1500 pilots on the seniority list. With the current rate of retirement, you would reach number 1050 in what--2016? That's a 9 year upgrade assuming no growth. It's debatable whether or not the company is going to grow in the future. Right now we are retiring MDs and 737-200s as fast as we are receiving new 737s, so we have 0 airframe growth. After the aircraft retirements end, we are supposed to keep receiving new 737s. Are those replacements for old 737-400s or are they growth aircraft? That's the million dollar question.

Speaking of seniority lists. Just a little FYI I just flew with a guy who was just hired there. He's 24 years old.

Is it true they (Alaska) is hiring more SkyWest/Frontier Flying/ERA guys (just to name a few) because they are from non-union airlines? I won't assume just because they are non-union Frontier/ERA guys are spinless but we've all seen SKYW roll over for managment and I imagie that is a trait current AS management finds very attractive.

Conspiricy Theories...

Is it true they (Alaska) is hiring more SkyWest/Frontier Flying/ERA guys (just to name a few) because they are from non-union airlines? I won't assume just because they are non-union Frontier/ERA guys are spinless but we've all seen SKYW roll over for managment and I imagie that is a trait current AS management finds very attractive.

Do you believe that management lowered the minimums for Horizon FOs to 0 PIC turbine time so that they couldn't leave if the going got rough? I wouldn't want to go on strike at a major if it meant I would have to start all over again at a regional.

Judging by the people AS has been hiring from SkyWest, they're not doing a very good job of picking out the spineless ones.

AS has also been hiring quite a few Expressjet pilots too. I wonder what that means.

Do you believe that management lowered the minimums for Horizon FOs to 0 PIC turbine time so that they couldn't leave if the going got rough? I wouldn't want to go on strike at a major if it meant I would have to start all over again at a regional.

Judging by the people AS has been hiring from SkyWest, they're not doing a very good job of picking out the spineless ones.

AS has also been hiring quite a few Expressjet pilots too. I wonder what that means.

Sweet, I'm glad that isn't the case... I was just asking the question because I've heard that - I wasn't infering that, that was the case or saying that that was true. As for the hiring of ExpressJet folks - I guess that just means they want good pilots, probably why they hire the SkyWest guys and anyone else.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back