• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Al Haynes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I donated $40.00, and would again. But the more I think about it, I can't figure out why Capt. Haynes and his daughter deserve the money any more or less than any other ALPA pilot whose child is in need. I hope we all remember this when its not a retired UAL captain, but a regional FO in need.

Well, we all would need it if we were in the same spot, for sure. The best thing we can do is to treat each other as professionals and with respect, something we as pilots sometimes don't do on account of some sort of misplaced company loyalties that go above our loyalties to each other as aviators.

However, I believe Al Haynes does deserve a high level of respect personally because his professionalism and actions really shaped an entire generation of pilots to value CRM and professional standards as a bell weather of behavior at all times. If you say this to Al like I had the opportunity to do back when I was a young instructor pilot, he'll tell you he isn't unique or special, he's just a pilot, and that any pilot worth his salt would have done the same thing - and that he and his passengers were being watched over that day.

I used to be based in Seattle in the late 90's and he still lived in the same understated home in a regular neighborhood. This guy has no overblown widebody captain ego at all. He's a very humble and inspiring individual.

Latest resources

Back