Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoaaa!

Check your six, Gents.

In the first place, the US Airways MEC is at fault for what is going on at it's airline. They have stonewalled the RJ issue for years, and now it is biting them in the ass. As of today, they have only given relief for 70 RJs.

For years, the Airways MEC has bitched about how their management is myopic, and at least three years behind the times. Well, it should now be obvious to all that they suffer from the same disease. Their short-sightedness and strangling SCOPE language is choking them right into bankruptcy court.

All the WO subsidaries have asked the Airways pilots (make that pleaded with the Airways pilots) is that they be allowed to develop markets. Just develop them with regional jets. And when they grow enough to support main line jets, that they be allowed to move on to the next market. What is so complex about that? Instead of the Airways MEC following this simple logic, they chose to stonewall the entire RJ program... and shoot themselves in their collective feet in the process.

The Airways MEC deserves to get a taste of the fruits of their arrogance. Hopefully, their evolving history will stand as a monument to other pilot groups who consider engaging in similar selfishness. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT a wish to see anyone's family on the street.

Implying that I don't care about another pilot's family is the same pure American sound-bite crap that keept Jerry Springer on the air. Tittilate yourself all you want, the fact of the matter is that the Airways MEC has made their bed.

Let them lie in it.

The reason for USAirways to be in this kind of financial problems is much more complicated than a lack of RJ's. I do not profess to know why but I am sure it is not simply because of only 70 RJ's. Look at NWA, they are in excellent shape financially and they only have about 50 RJ's at their express carriers (not exactly sure on the numbers but close). Besides, what makes you think there will be so many more routes for your company to pick up if they file Ch. 11? That will just give them the chance to operate free from creditors for a while and probably renegotiate the labor contracts.

I don't understand why you would be so concerned about the RJ issue at Airways anyhow, you know, with all your time and flying the 737. You sound rather bitter at Airways and almost like you wish that they would allow more RJ's so that you could fly one yourself. Hmmm.....Just a thought.

I'll chime in, not that I'm an expert or anything.

I hope that the original poster doesnt want to see people on the street, and my guess is he doesnt. He is just not a poet when it comes to venting his dislike of the "Mainline Dillema" that Airways has found themselves.

As far as the problem there at Airways, they are just a feeling the hurt of good times gone bad and lack of sight into the future.

I think a good term would be "paradigm shift", thinking out of the box.

LR25

Stop replying as it's like talking to a small child. JUST WALK AWAY PEOPLE, he only wants attention.

psyops,

It is not the union that is supposed to run the airline, it should be management. Unfortunately at US Air management has not run the airline for several years if not decades. Now if the management really wanted all of those rj's they would not have asked for only 35 in the contract dated jan. 1998. I do not think they are useing the full 70 allowed by the side letter yet. If thet really want 450 rj's ( or whatever the number is this week ) they can come to the union group with something real to bargan with. Untill they are serious why should the pilot group be? Sorry you didn't get hired at mainline, maybe if you loose the attitude and sorry for your self attitude you can get the job next time around!

man-down

man-down,

One of my best friends is a WO pilot, who never applied to Airways. I would gladly put my wife, kids, and parents on his airplane. Anytime. In any weather. He is an excellent pilot.

What bothers me, is that the Airways MEC considers his skill level to be suspect... their concern about letting WO pilots unconditionally onto their seniority list was that: "We're worried that we would have to lower the bar..." (read: lower our standards to let you become an Airways pilot).

You tell me who is the idiot?...

The WO pilot with the allegedly suspect skills?

Or the Airways pilot who puts himself, his wife, and his kids on a WO aircraft?

psyops,

I do not disspute the skills of your frined. I also came from a regional like your buddy, I know what it takes to make it there. It is certainly much more of a challenge than main-line jobs. I also do not doubt that some US Air people have made the comment about regional pilots not being as good as main line pilots. That is not confined only to US Air though. I have heard other pilots from the big five say the same about their reginal partners whooly owned or not.

Whoever makes that assumption (more than likely not someone who came from a regional ariline) is more than arrogant, but to keep it simple they are just wrong.

Now to divert from your tangent and get back to the original subject of this post...

If US Air gave Wolf 700 rj authority today it would not solve their problems. It would be a start... Wolf says publically the rj is going to solve the company's problems. I guarntee you that whatever deal is struck, and it will stall again before it is completed, a new song and dance will be spouted by management. Then they will be asking for pay cuts and other contract consessions. If rj's were the issue, why isn't SWA hurting? Much more than rj's are needed at US Air.

On top of all that, how could you wish such bad fortune on so many people? Even if what you think about the US Air MEC is true, that is NOT the view of the 5000 pilots left on property. Even if bankruptcy is filed it would be years; at least before US Air was gone. Unless someone bought them, in pieces or as one package. Either way, unless you are working at the airline you plan to retire from, a buyout / merger or simply closing the doors and sending around 4500 marketable pilots to the street will slow down your career advancement.

man-down

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back