• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im sure SWA wants all those gates in ATL that cant handle a 737... How many gates does AAI have in ATL that can actually take a 737... Maybe 10?? Besides.. The big news that never happend was that SWA was going to buy Alaska.. Now, AAI and Alasaka would be an awesome company..

Im sure SWA wants all those gates in ATL that cant handle a 737... How many gates does AAI have in ATL that can actually take a 737... Maybe 10?? Besides.. The big news that never happend was that SWA was going to buy Alaska.. Now, AAI and Alasaka would be an awesome company..
Agree on all counts. Unfortunately, Joe was apparently talking to a newhire class right before he resigned and stated that Alaska had absolutely zero interest in a merger. I'd love to see a merger with Alaska, but I dread the thought of an SWA merger.

I have been told that airtran will turn all the gates on C + D into 737 gates. This will cause a net lose of about 2 gates on C.

I have been told that airtran will turn all the gates on C + D into 737 gates. This will cause a net lose of about 2 gates on C.
From what I've heard, we'd lose a lot more than 2 gates by converting everything to 737 gates. Last I heard, there was no chance of it happening. Gate space in ATL is simply too valuable.

The company that owens the gate rights on D is now charging based on number of sests. The latest is only 717s are going to park on D. Converting more C gates to fit the 73, but not all the C gates. Thus, only a loss of 2 C gates.

There are now two or three jet ways on the ASA side of C near ABC, anyone know what thoes sre for?

The company that owens the gate rights on D is now charging based on number of sests. The latest is only 717s are going to park on D. Converting more C gates to fit the 73, but not all the C gates. Thus, only a loss of 2 C gates.

There are now two or three jet ways on the ASA side of C near ABC, anyone know what thoes sre for?

Those are for ASA use. Why they would want to go to jetways instead of the ratmazes they have now I do not know. It is part of their C renovation they have been talking about for 5 years. Guess they finally got started.

Our(AirTran's) gate space on D is an everyday nightmare....calling TBI airport management, asking for the same gates I asked for the day before and possibly getting denied, wondering if Spirit or Midwest is running late so we can swipe their gate for a turn, etc....

73's and 71's park on D....we like terminating 737's on D at the end of the night to help with organizing our redeye parking....And on bad wx nights like last Saturday we're flooding E con with 717 terminators.

I know this is off-topic, but why the defeatism in your quote above?

If we merge with SWA, or even if SWA buys AirTran outright, do you actually think they are going to park (87) B-717's? If they were to merge/buy AirTran, they inherit the entire route system. By removing 87 aircraft overnight, that route system will collapse and they'll be in bankruptcy by the end of the week. This is not an ATA deal, nor is it a TWA type deal where both of those carriers were on Liquidation's doorstep. AirTran is a profitable company with new aircraft. That puts them in a totally different league from ATA and TWA.

There is no reason why SWA would not welcome a fuel efficient, state of the art airplane like the B-717 into its fleet. If anything, the B-717 pilots would be a protected group. Do you think SWA is going to allow their own B-737 pilots to bid over to the B-717 and incur all those training costs...at least during the first two years?

Don,

You misread my humor. No kidding, this is one of the stupid comments heard in the crew lounge. Last year it was all those Midwest guys gonna steal our 737 slots. Your comments are exactly my points when the SWA topic comes up. They'd want all our current flying (at least in ATL) to protect those gates.

And actually I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now, but I am a realist. I expect to be on reserve for at least another year. That's okay but it would would be nice to have a few more days off every month. If only we had passed TA2.................(humor, sarcasm alert).

Latest resources

Back