• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran under Pressure from Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Mr. Kelly. That's no problem. If they can find some gates they can battle it out with Airtran to see who has the lowest cost structure, or buy them and let Delta compete with a higher cost company.
If Southwest wants a few gates to come into Atlanta, they will get them. They don't need AirTran to come into Atlanta. Right now AirTran and Delta should be glad Southwest is more interested in Denver. But I imagine as a way to fulfill their route network they will eventually make a move into Atlanta. They only need a few gates to get things started. By the way, that new international terminal that is being built will eventually open up many more gates in Atlanta in a few years. Next time you taxi out, notice that the taxiways near the tower are closed. That is because they are extending the train to prepare for the new terminal.

Thanks Mr. Kelly. That's no problem. If they can find some gates they can battle it out with Airtran to see who has the lowest cost structure, or buy them and let Delta compete with a higher cost company.

Don't be so sure about no gates, 2011 is just around the corner. I would bet that Southwest already has a bid in for gate space.

If that's not enough space, there is also a new 31 gate "South Gate Terminal" being build between rwy 10/28 and 9/27

http://www.manhattanconstruction.com/projects/wip/atlanta/mhj_international_terminal_full.htm

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/03/03/daily8.html

The Atlanta City Council on Monday unanimously approved a construction budget of $1.2 billion with a contingency reserve fund of $168 million to build the new international terminal at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

The Maynard Holbrook Jackson Jr. International Terminal was designed by Atlanta Gateway Designers, a joint venture between Gresham, Smith & Partners and Duckett Design. Located on the east side of the existing facilities, the new terminal will be constructed by the Holder Construction Group LLC, Manhattan Construction Co., C. D. Moody Construction Co. and Hunt Construction Group Inc. Construction is expected to be completed by 2011.

The 1.2 million-square-foot international terminal will have 12 new international gates (16 domestic) and a 1,100-space parking facility when finished in 2011. Hartsfield-Jackson will have a total of 40 international gates when the new terminal comes online.
The new terminal also eliminates the baggage recheck process. Currently, international passengers must claim their luggage, go through U.S. Customs, recheck their luggage and then reclaim it once again. The new terminal will allow international passengers to exit the existing building directly into a general meeting area.

In a traffic twist, the first terminal access to Hartsfield-Jackson via Interstate 75, the east side of the airport, is part of the plan. It will link up with the main terminal at Concourse E via underground train. The new international terminal will also have a two-level roadway system and curb front to separate departing and arriving vehicle traffic.

Last year, more than 9 million international travelers came through Hartsfield-Jackson. But more than 13 million international passengers are expected to come through the Maynard Jackson International Terminal by 2015.

Last edited:
If Southwest wants a few gates to come into Atlanta, they will get them. They don't need AirTran to come into Atlanta. Right now AirTran and Delta should be glad Southwest is more interested in Denver. But I imagine as a way to fulfill their route network they will eventually make a move into Atlanta. They only need a few gates to get things started. By the way, that new international terminal that is being built will eventually open up many more gates in Atlanta in a few years. Next time you taxi out, notice that the taxiways near the tower are closed. That is because they are extending the train to prepare for the new terminal.

I never had any doubt they would come to ATL sooner or later. I expect them to be in every large city eventually. I don't think it will be a problem at all for Delta as they've been competing with SWA successfully for years. From what I've read the large majority of the recent city pairs they've added have been money losers. I'm sure they're looking at options to try and change that.

In my opinion it's also only a matter of time before SWA starts international operations. The big carriers on the other hand are running much leaner than a few years ago (Exhibit A - my piddly paycheck) and won't be easy to push around like US Air of the late 90s. The fact is Delta will have to be able to compete with everyone, everywhere, all the time if they want to be consistently successful over the long run.

Last edited:
If they come to ATL it will be after AAI's demise or it will be the demise of AAI. There is no way that two LLC can compete for that market share in and out of ATL.

If they come to ATL it will be after AAI's demise or it will be the demise of AAI. There is no way that two LLC can compete for that market share in and out of ATL.

Have you been to Chicago Midway, many airlines have pulled out of that airport, AAI and SWA are still are strong in their operations there. It wouldnt be good at all for Delta to have two strong LCC's in their hub.

Glen H. came to my new hire class in March. He was asked if we (DAL) were worried about LUV coming to ATL. His response was that we would much rather have LUV in ATL than Airtran. He stated that SW was much more rational in how they ran their airline then Citrus. Personally I don't see SW in ATL unless Airtran in gone. Trying to compete angaints both DL and AAI in ATL is a whole different ball game compared to UA and F9 in DEN.

Agreed.
Also I would prefer SWA. With the Wright Amendment going away it would mean more flights to DFW.

Airtran has the lowest ASM than any airline out there, that is why DL hates competeing with them !!!

Dl should have started when AAI had 40 airplanes not 150....

AAI has hundred or two running the airline=DL has 1,000s??? How many VPs and Directors does DL have?

Latest resources

Back