• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran under Pressure from Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to worry, I'm sure WN fully intends to serve Hartsfield whenever we finally pull the trigger on the A-T-L. Anyone know how many gates NW currently occupies?

Not to worry, I'm sure WN fully intends to serve Hartsfield whenever we finally pull the trigger on the A-T-L. Anyone know how many gates NW currently occupies?

I think they have 3 in the D Concourse. Go for it!

Bye Bye--General Lee

From what numbers I have seen - those good old nines are WAY cheaper to run on the routes - even with the high fuel burn because they are paid for.
That is wrong. Source for your numbers is requested.

THE numbers from the 2007 airlines' reports to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics form 41 data says each DC9 that gets flushed puts about $3,000,000 per jet on the bottom line. No wonder there is a rapid plan to replace them with RJ's.

The 2008 numbers will be more stark.

Has everyone forgot Delta dumped their worn out, dirty, fuel wasting DC9's and AirTran dumped them too? If it was such a good idea in a competitive market everyone would have kept the -9's.

AirTran would be G O N E if NWA had not paid out $270,000,000.00 plus to bail out MidWest.

Well, I wonder about this, too, but I suspect we would have sold off more 737's and kept their 717, but it would have sucked extra bad for junior pilots from both airlines.

Bottom line is that I think we would still be around, but would have even more pilots furloughed, and integration problems to deal with, too.

Glad the deal didn't go down . . . the price was too high, and the corporate cultures too different. How many CC Air guys would be willing to switch to Old Style or Old Milwaukee? Not very many, I hope.

How many Midex guys were willing to give up ice fishing for NASCAR on the crew lounge TV? How many would help build a still in the crash pad, and how many would trade the cow tippin' for giggin' frogs on the overnights? Not many! ;)

TY

With Millions of people living in Cobb County, trust me Dobbins is one hot piece of Real Estate. Soo much so, the city of Atlanta and Delta Airlines will go to whatever extent possible to make sure it doesn't happen. But this is SWA, the same airline who got rid of the Wright Ammendment, so anything is possible. Dobbins is a money maker waiting to be exploited. SWA and DAL don't really compete in SLC but on like 3 routes (the rest are RJs). Because of you General, DAL is not the weakest legacy. Easier battles at the moment for SWA, but if we end up in ATL, then you better get working General because this means SWA has noticed something that isn't working. Like with USAirways and UAL.

By the way...Islip is not used as a replacement for NYC. Long Island is home to over 2 million people. Enough people in Long Island to support SWA service without counting NYC. Islip is not a NYC replacement, it's an independent market from NYC.

WOW, that tale is fantastic. Can't wait to see it. Did you really get rid of the Wright Ammendment? Not really. You still can't fly nonstop to most States except to the listed States (mostly contiguous around Texas except Alabama and Missouri I think), but now you can fly a "through" flight. How long will that go again? 8 years total? You sorta changed it. That was still a win win for American Airlines and DFW airport.

BTW, JFK is fairly close to Islip, and Jetblue and Delta do take some people from Long Island to far away places. Southwest doesn't "own" Long Island. But, you can have Ronkonkoma. Enjoy those layovers boys!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I don't think DL is trying to put FL out. Just trying to cap our growth out of ATL. If/when FL starts taking deliveries again, force us to put them elsewhere. Increasing costs and capping ATL. FL is caught up in hard economics and DL is taking advantage. If FL goes out, that leaves a whole lotta gates for anyone to move in. So the question is, who does DL want to compete with in ATL. Doesn't really matter if it's AA, CO, or WN. I think they would prefer FL at this point than taking on somebody else. Of course the other side of it may be that DL needs addtional gates if they decide to downsize CVG or MEM after merger. Don't really see them cutting back in MSP or DTW on the NW side of it or SLC on the DL side of it. just my .02 worth.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that "anything" is possible when it comes to WN. Just ask the folks in Seattle how that BFI operation is working out. The Wright Amendment was a stupid piece of federal legislation - local governments are not so easily swayed when it comes to protecting their own.

I think the 'BFI operation' worked out just fine. The threat of it got us lower facility fees at SEA than if we had done nothing but roll over and take what ever hikes the airport authority wanted to impose.

Delta just reported 3rd quarter results. Delta went from a $220 million profit in Q3 2007 to a $50 million loss for Q3 2008.

We will see how much stomach they have for continued domestic losses with their lose no market share route planning philosophy this time around.

WOW, that tale is fantastic. Can't wait to see it. Did you really get rid of the Wright Ammendment? Not really. You still can't fly nonstop to most States except to the listed States (mostly contiguous around Texas except Alabama and Missouri I think), but now you can fly a "through" flight. How long will that go again? 8 years total? You sorta changed it. That was still a win win for American Airlines and DFW airport.

BTW, JFK is fairly close to Islip, and Jetblue and Delta do take some people from Long Island to far away places. Southwest doesn't "own" Long Island. But, you can have Ronkonkoma. Enjoy those layovers boys!

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Wright Ammendment is halfway done. That was a document that was never suppose to go away and it did. As for Islip, some of the highest load factors in the system come out of Long Island. Plenty for everyone in that area.

Latest resources

Back